FAA orders inspections of all 737s; airlines expect no operational disruption
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The FAA this week issued a directive to all airlines operating the Boeing 737, mandating new inspections on a switch that controls cabin pressure. The good news: summer travelers shouldn’t see any impact.
The airworthiness directive (AD) applies to all 737 aircraft of every generation, from the original models through the latest 737 MAX. There are 2,502 of the aircraft active in the U.S., and 9,315 globally.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
There are two cabin altitude pressure switches on each 737. If they fail at the same time, cabin pressure could drop, leading to dangerously low oxygen levels.
Importantly, this has not happened during an actual flight. The order was prompted after several reports of newly installed pressure switches failing during testing.
Normally, the switches are tested every 6,000 flight hours. Under the new rule, those tests will be mandated every 2,000 flight hours, instead. All active aircraft must be checked within 2,000 flight hours of their last test, or within 90 days of the AD taking effect — the rule is scheduled to be published on Tuesday, July 20.
According to the FAA, each inspection and — if necessary — replacement, should take no more than an hour.
U.S. airlines that rely on various 737 models, including American Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, and Delta Air Lines, told TPG that they do not expect any operational impact due to the required inspections, which can be accomplished during standard maintenance or other time spent on the ground.
Representatives for Alaska Airlines did not immediately return a request for comment.
Featured photo by DANIEL SLIM/AFP via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees