US Passport Holders Can Now Use ePassport Gates at UK Airports
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
US passport holders, be prepared for a less-hectic and more speedy UK immigration process. As of Monday, US passport holders, along with those from six other countries, can use automated ePassport gates on arrival to the UK, where available.
The seven countries include:
- New Zealand
- South Korea
- United States
UK Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond said of the news: “This is fantastic news for passengers. A good border experience is a great way to show the UK is open for business and we encourage the Government to continue to prioritise it.”
These passengers can now avoid potential wait times at immigration by inserting their passport into the machines, having their photograph taken and then entering the country automatically without any human interaction. The ePassport gate process usually takes just seconds, rather than the hour-plus long waits some passengers may be used to, especially at Heathrow. Best of all, there’s no registration required, though travelers who are under 12 aren’t permitted to use the ePassport gates.
There are currently 264 ePassport gates at the following UK locations, in addition to juxtaposed controls:
- Birmingham Airport (BHX)
- Bristol Airport (BRS)
- Cardiff Airport (CWL)
- East Midlands Airport (EMA)
- Edinburgh Airport (EDI)
- Gatwick Airport (LGW; North and South Terminals)
- Glasgow Airport (GLA)
- Heathrow Airport (LHR; Terminals 2, 3, 4 and 5)
- London City Airport (LCY)
- Luton Airport (LTN)
- Manchester Airport (MAN; Terminals 1, 2 and 3)
- Newcastle Airport (NCL)
- Stansted Airport (STN)
As of Monday, the UK has also done away with paper landing cards. Regardless if you have access to ePassport gates, you’ll no longer have to complete personal details by hand each time you enter the United Kingdom. The Immigration Service Union told The Independent that it’s disappointed this change has been made so suddenly, and that it may “weaken the UK borders.”
While passengers from these seven additional countries should expect a much quicker entry, those passport holders who already use the ePassport gates may experience longer wait times than usual as the number of eligible passengers using this service increases sharply. This may be especially apparent at Heathrow Terminals 3 and 5, which receive a large number of North American flights, and therefore passport holders. Around 52 million passengers already use the service each year.
EU nationals will remain eligible to continue using these gates once the UK leaves the European Union.
Featured image by Oli Scarff/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees