Get $40 off a $40 purchase by signing up for a Target RedCard debit or credit card
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
Here at TPG we generally advise against opening up store-specific credit cards, as they tend to offer inferior rewards and welcome bonuses. However, if you shop enough at the same store it might be worth running the numbers to see if a certain card makes sense for you, and the Target RedCard is a great choice.
Doctor of Credit is reporting that you can now earn $40 off a future $40 purchase when you sign up and are approved for either the credit or debit version of the Target RedCard. There’s no direct link for this offer, but you can find it at the end of this week’s Target circular or by going to Target.com/redcard. This offer is only valid from July 12 to July 26, 2020.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Given that the debit and credit versions of the RedCard are nearly identical, I would recommend picking the debit option if you plan on pursuing this offer. Both cards offer 5% off in Target stores and at Target.com. The only real difference is that one is a credit card and the other is a debit card.
As the coronavirus pandemic continues to reshape consumer spending patterns across the world, people are focusing on the basics and on consolidating their shopping trips. That’s good news for a store like Target, which lets you shop for groceries, clothes and household supplies all under the same roof.
We rarely see strong rewards on debit cards, and the Target RedCard is a notable exception in this category. If you frequently shop at Target, 5% off your purchases can add up quickly.
No annual fee and 5% cash back at Target help make the RedCard one of the most rewarding debit cards on the market. While a $40 discount isn’t the highest welcome offer you can find, it’s a very solid deal for a no annual fee card. The ability to earn solid rewards and a welcome bonus on a debit card are also unique, as you don’t need to waste a credit inquiry in order to start earning rewards if you opt for the debit card instead of the credit card.
Featured image by Eduardo Munoz Alvarez/VIEWpress/Corbis via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees