And the 2026 Winter Olympic Games Go to … Italy
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This is the week that live ticket sales for Americans begin for the 2020 Olympics Games in Tokyo, but that’s not today’s Olympics-related headline. Jumping forward quite a few more years, the 2026 Winter Games have just been awarded to Italy, over the only remaining competitor for the 2026 Games, Sweden.
Italy had reportedly been the favored host for a while, with the public support polled by the IOC at 85%, as opposed to just 60% in Sweden. When the Olympic torch reaches Milan for the Opening Ceremonies on Feb. 6, 2026, that isn’t the only Italian location that will be involved in the event. Milan is located just south of Switzerland in northern Italy and will host many of the Olympic events. However, the alpine events will be held more than 250 miles away at Cortina d’Ampezzo, which is located in the northeastern corner of the country in the Alps, just south of Austria.
The Closing Ceremonies are in yet another city, Verona, making it impossible to take in all of the Olympic action without giving yourself a bit of a tour around northern Italy — which, honestly, sounds pretty nice. The increased geographical footprint of the Olympics is likely related to the increased desire to utilize existing structures for the games. In Italy, 13 of the 14 needed facilities are existing or will be temporary.
If you don’t want to wait until 2026 to see the Olympics in Italy, here’s the Olympic line-up of locations in the coming years:
- 2020 Summer Games: Tokyo
- 2022 Winter Games: Beijing
- 2024 Summer Games: Paris
- 2026 Winter Games: Italy
- 2028 Summer Games: Los Angeles
Coming back to the closer-term, be sure and bookmark our hub for Olympics 2020 travel-related coverage as this week marks some important dates for those looking to travel to the Games next summer when live ticket sales begin and select hotel chains begin to extend their booking calendars to dates that include the start of the 2020 Games.
Cortina d’Ampezzo (Photo courtesy of Giacomomo / Getty Images)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees