This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Fifteen passengers were injured on board an Aerolineas Argentinas flight from Miami (MIA) to Buenos Aires (EZE) on Thursday. Eight of those passengers were taken to the hospital upon arrival at EZE for further treatment of their injuries.
The 192 people on board Aerolineas Argentinas Flight 1303 reportedly experienced severe turbulence as the Airbus A330 aircraft encountered rough airspace over Brazil.
Pictures of the chaotic aftermath of the rocked flight show the aircraft cabin in complete disarray: Tray tables, catering items and passengers’ personal belongings litter the cabin floor, and passengers appear shaken up after the incident.
— Breaking Aviation News (@breakingavnews) October 19, 2018
Passengers reportedly suffered injuries like nosebleeds and bruising. Despite the plane’s severe tremors, the flight continued on its path to Buenos Aires, where it landed safely. Aerolineas Argentinas told The Daily Mail that the turbulence occurred during while the plane was in the “cruise” portion of the flight. The carrier says cabin crew assisted injured passengers on board before the plane landed and flyers could get further medical attention.
Injuries from severe turbulence are not uncommon on flights (that’s why it’s so important to always have your seatbelt fastened while sitting). A similar rough air situation occurred last month on a Volaris flight to Tijuana, injuring dozens of passengers. And in March, a plane full of passengers caught in rough air from an impending Nor’easter all became airsick from the plane’s rocking in the violent winds.
Featured image by Oscar Munoz via Twitter.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees