How new technology could make airport social distancing possible
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Technology company Veovo is attempting to make social distancing in airports possible with its latest products. The technology promises to provide both real-time and predictive insights to airports about passenger movements through a combination of movement monitoring and machine learning.
The pair of new products are Virtual Queuing and a Passenger Density Management Tool, which Veovo hopes will be able to help airports adapt as well as help passengers to regain confidence for flying again as restrictions start to ease.
With lining up being commonplace at several points during the airport experience, it’s a considerable pain point when it comes to social distancing. Veovo’s Virtual Queuing product provides pre-booked time slots for various different checkpoints throughout airports, meaning that passengers won’t have to come close together in long lines.
The slots are constantly updated in real-time and take into consideration wait times, changes to incoming passenger numbers due to delays as well as processing capacity in areas throughout the airport.
The second product is a Passenger Density Management tool. It’s tasked with monitoring the accumulation of crowds in spaces that are prone to getting busy with passengers like in check-in and at security. Additionally, it monitors airside departure gates, shops and restaurants. Information from the monitors will be gathered in real-time to constantly assess the risk in various areas of the airport.
Airport managers will have access to live heatmaps and dashboards, which will trigger customized alarms and automatic actions that can be based on current guidelines relevant to the country that the airport is in.
Not only that, but the system will help to advise on which areas of the airport are most critical for cleaning.
Veovo already has airport clients across the world. One of the biggest being Amsterdam Schiphol (AMS), which has been using the tech company’s Passenger Predictability technology for more than eight years. In the U.K., Birmingham (BHX), Bristol (BRS), Edinburgh (EDI) and Manchester (MAN) airports are also using the Passenger Predictability Solution.
This new technology could help airports with the problems that they already know exist, such as how to implement social distancing. Earlier in May, Heathrow CEO John Holland-Kaye said social distancing in airports would be impossible.
Featured image by AJ_Watt/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.