How new technology could make airport social distancing possible
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Technology company Veovo is attempting to make social distancing in airports possible with its latest products. The technology promises to provide both real-time and predictive insights to airports about passenger movements through a combination of movement monitoring and machine learning.
The pair of new products are Virtual Queuing and a Passenger Density Management Tool, which Veovo hopes will be able to help airports adapt as well as help passengers to regain confidence for flying again as restrictions start to ease.
With lining up being commonplace at several points during the airport experience, it’s a considerable pain point when it comes to social distancing. Veovo’s Virtual Queuing product provides pre-booked time slots for various different checkpoints throughout airports, meaning that passengers won’t have to come close together in long lines.
The slots are constantly updated in real-time and take into consideration wait times, changes to incoming passenger numbers due to delays as well as processing capacity in areas throughout the airport.
The second product is a Passenger Density Management tool. It’s tasked with monitoring the accumulation of crowds in spaces that are prone to getting busy with passengers like in check-in and at security. Additionally, it monitors airside departure gates, shops and restaurants. Information from the monitors will be gathered in real-time to constantly assess the risk in various areas of the airport.
Airport managers will have access to live heatmaps and dashboards, which will trigger customized alarms and automatic actions that can be based on current guidelines relevant to the country that the airport is in.
Not only that, but the system will help to advise on which areas of the airport are most critical for cleaning.
Veovo already has airport clients across the world. One of the biggest being Amsterdam Schiphol (AMS), which has been using the tech company’s Passenger Predictability technology for more than eight years. In the U.K., Birmingham (BHX), Bristol (BRS), Edinburgh (EDI) and Manchester (MAN) airports are also using the Passenger Predictability Solution.
This new technology could help airports with the problems that they already know exist, such as how to implement social distancing. Earlier in May, Heathrow CEO John Holland-Kaye said social distancing in airports would be impossible.
Featured image by AJ_Watt/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees