How to use the Amex Gold’s new $10 monthly Uber credit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The American Express® Gold Card’s new monthly Uber benefit is officially live. Amex Gold cardholders now get up to $120 in annual Uber Cash, distributed as up to $10 credits per month. But how do you actually claim these credits?
Amex’s Uber credit works differently than the card’s up to $120 in annual dining credit in that it doesn’t reimburse you in the form of a statement credit when making eligible purchases. Rather, you get Uber Cash deposited directly to your Uber account each month. Enrollment required for select benefits.
Today, we’re going to discuss how you can link your Amex Gold to your Uber account to make sure you’re getting your monthly credits.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Amex Gold’s Uber benefits
Besides a terrific return on food purchases and monthly dining credit, the Amex Gold Card now comes with up to $120 in annual Uber Cash. This comes in the form of an up to $10 monthly Uber Cash credit and could be used on both Uber Eats orders and Uber rides in the U.S.
Additionally, now through Dec. 31, 2021, cardholders could enroll for a complimentary Uber Eats Pass Membership for up to 12 months. This unlocks unlimited free delivery and discounts on orders of $15 or more at eligible restaurants. Uber Eats Pass will auto-bill starting 12 months from initial enrollment in this offer, at then-currently monthly rate.
The new benefit works similarly to the existing Uber benefit on The Platinum Card® from American Express. Here’s what you need to do to use it:
Activating the Amex Gold’s Uber credit
To get your Uber Cash, you first need to link your Amex Gold to your Uber account. To do this, head to your wallet on the Uber app and add your Amex Gold as a payment method.
Once you’ve done so, the credits should automatically appear in the Uber Cash section of your wallet. Your Amex Gold credits will stack with any credits you might have from the Amex Platinum or from gift cards.
As long as your card remains linked to your Uber account, your Uber Cash will automatically be deposited into your wallet every month. However, it’s important to remember that your credits will expire at the end of each month. In other words, if you don’t use your credits one month, they won’t roll over into the next month.
To actually redeem your credit, make sure you select Uber Cash as your payment method when requesting a ride or placing an order. If your Uber Cash balance isn’t enough to cover the transaction, you can select a credit card to cover the remaining balance. Make sure you use a card that earns additional rewards on Uber purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve®, which earns 3x on travel and dining purchases, including Uber rides and Uber Eats.
After linking your Amex Gold card, you’ll be offered 12 months of complimentary access to Eats Pass, valued at $10 per month. Benefits include unlimited deliveries with a $0 fee from eligible restaurants, 5% off restaurant orders over $15 and, in select markets, free grocery delivery on orders over $30 (taxes and service fees may apply and do not count toward order minimum).
While you don’t need to start your pass right away, you must enroll by Dec. 31, 2021 to take advantage of the benefit. You can start your pass via a banner on the Uber Eats home page or via the “Eats Pass” button on the menu. If you don’t see the banner, double-check that you’re using the latest version of the Uber Eats app.
The American Express Gold Card now comes with monthly Uber Cash credits. Claiming it is as simple as a few taps on your phone. Once your card is linked to the Uber app, your credits will automatically be deposited to your account each month, with no further action necessary. Just remember to use your credits each month as they don’t carry over.
Screenshots courtesy of Uber.
For rates and fees of the Amex Gold card, click here.
Featured image courtesy of American Express.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.