Use the right card when shopping at local small businesses
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with new card details. It was originally published on Nov. 30, 2019.
Even though retail giants like Amazon, Target and Dillards are still go-to shopping locations for many Americans, there has been a movement the past few years to get consumers to shop local. Shopping local supports community entrepreneurs and your local economy, not to mention there are some fantastic small businesses you can shop with no matter where you live.
Most credit cards don’t offer bonus categories that many small retail businesses will fall into, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still maximize those purchases and get a solid return on your spending. Here are three of my top picks to use for small business shopping.
With the Citi® Double Cash Card, you’ll earn 2% back on every purchase — 1% when you buy and 1% when you pay your bill each month. This is a great card to use when shopping local because you’re earning a flat rewards rate no matter where you shop. That means no matter the retailer, from your favorite clothing boutique to your favorite bakery, you’ll earn 2% back. Plus, the Citi Double Cash rewards can now be converted to ThankYou Points with an eligible linked ThankYou account, so you can use your rewards as cash back or points.
The Chase Freedom Unlimited comes with unlimited 1.5% back on purchases. While it’s not quite as high as the Citi Double Cash’s rewards rate, remember that you can convert Chase Freedom Unlimited rewards into Chase Ultimate Rewards points if you also have an eligible Chase card such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card. Chase UR points are worth 2 cents each, so you’ll end up with a 3% return on all spending, no matter where you decide to shop local.
If you are an existing Bank of America customer with enough stashed with the bank to qualify for the Preferred Rewards program, it’s hard to beat the Premium Rewards Card‘s rewards structure. You’re earning 2x points on travel and dining purchases, plus 1.5x point on everyday purchases. Plus, earn 2 points for every $1 spent on grocery store purchases- now through 12/31/21. But Preferred Rewards members can get anywhere from 25% to 75% more in rewards based on what tier you qualify for. That means you could earn up to 2.62x on non-bonus spending, making it the highest potential earner on this list.
Shopping local is a great way to support local business owners and the local economy. 2019’s Small Business Saturday (Nov. 30, 2019) recorded an estimated $19.6 billion in sales across independent retailers and restaurants, according to data from the 2019 Small Business Saturday Consumer Insights Study from American Express. Same same study found that 97% on consumers who shopped during the recent Small Business Saturday agreed that small businesses are essential to the community.
Using the right card while you shop local could help your local economy while boosting your rewards earnings.
Want more credit card advice? Sign up for TPG’s daily newsletter for more stories delivered to your inbox!
Featured photo by Rafa Elias / Getty Image
Updated on 5/3/21.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees