Why upgrade from Citi Rewards+ to Citi Premier?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Citi is a TPG advertising partner.
For many, the idea of paying an annual fee is intimidating, but it may be worth considering moving up to the next level. The Citi Premier® Card offers superior earning potential and access to Citi’s airline transfer partners within the same family of cards, but with a $95 annual fee.
In this series, we’ll help existing cardholders determine if they should upgrade their cards, even if that means paying an annual fee. Here are some reasons why Citi Rewards+ cardholders should consider upgrading to the Citi Premier.
Want more credit card news and advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
Better earning potential
The Citi Rewards+ offers 2 points per dollar at supermarkets and gas stations on the first $6,000 per year (then 1x) and 1 point per dollar on all other purchases. Also, every purchase automatically rounds up to the nearest 10 points.
That $6,000 cap may be limiting for those who spend a considerable amount on these everyday purchases. You’ll essentially only earn 2x on the first $500 spent per month when you break this threshold down.
The Citi Premier offers significantly better earning potential with no limits. Cardholders will earn 3 points per dollar on restaurants, supermarkets, gas stations, air travel and hotels, and 1 point per dollar on other purchases.
The difference of earning 3x versus 2x can add up throughout the year, especially when you throw in the possibility of earning bonus points on even more categories.
Your rewards are worth more — and there are more redemption options
Not only can you earn more points with the Citi Premier, but your rewards will also be worth more.
With the Citi Premier, you can transfer your points at a 1:1 ratio to 15 airline loyalty programs, with high-value options like Avianca LifeMiles, Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles and Virgin Atlantic Flying Club.
It can be challenging to understand the intricacies of points transfers at first. Still, the payoff is well worth it since you can score so many award transfer possibilities. At TPG, we have many guides to walk you through how to transfer your Citi ThankYou points for maximum value.
When leveraging transfer partners with the Citi Premier, TPG values ThankYou points at 1.8 cents each. Meanwhile, with the Citi Rewards+, your ThankYou points are worth just 1 cent each for gift cards.
Greater travel benefits
Even with the $95 annual fee, there are greater benefits on the Citi Premier that will help prospective applicants justify this cost every year.
On the Citi Premier, there’s an annual $100 statement credit toward a single hotel stay of $500 or more (excluding taxes and fees) when booked through thankyou.com. That’s a savings of up to 20% on a hotel stay every year.
You’ll also want to avoid using the Citi Rewards+ when traveling internationally since you’ll incur a 3% foreign transaction fee on every purchase. The Citi Premier waives foreign transaction fees.
Consider applying rather than upgrading
Last but certainly not least, another reason why the Citi Premier is a much more valuable card is that it comes with a nice sign-up bonus. New applicants will earn 80,000 ThankYou points after spending $4,000 in purchases in the first three months of account opening — worth $1,440 for travel.
However, if you decide to upgrade your Citi Rewards+ to the Citi Premier, you won’t be eligible for this 80,000-point sign-up bonus. You may want to consider applying for the Citi Premier separately, rather than upgrading, to get the sign-up bonus.
Just note that Citi has a 24-month application restriction on all of its ThankYou cards. If you received a new cardmember bonus on the Citi Rewards+ or closed your account within the last 24 months, you’ll likely be ineligible to earn the Citi Premier’s sign-up bonus until you’re out of this window.
The benefits and earning potential of the Citi Premier will most likely outweigh the cost of the annual fee and present better long-term value than the Citi Rewards+. In general, it’s important to re-evaluate what’s in your wallet to ensure that you’re always getting the maximum value possible, which may mean an upgrade is in your future.
Featured photo by John Gribben for The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees