How to survive ‘crimbo limbo’ with your family
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This story has been updated.
On December 26 after the presents are opened, you’re finishing up the leftovers and the children have already played with their new toys — “crimbo limbo” can set in.
This usually refers to the days between Christmas and New Year when you start to get itchy feet but still have a few days before New Year’s Eve. For those with school-aged children, crimbo limbo can be a challenge.
Here are a few things to do to during that week to keep everyone entertained.
Start planning a new trip
One of the best ways to get out of a bad mood is to start planning your 2021 trips. If you are subject to a strict school calendar, you can book great fares for next October half term in the current New Years’ sales.
Plan your points and miles strategy for 2021
Are you going to commit to one alliance for status this year? Is 2021 your year to fly business class as a family for the first time? Do you have an idea of where you are going to transfer your American Express Membership Rewards? 2021 could be the year that your family stops hoarding points.
Experience some culture
Museums normally operate in the period between Christmas and New Year. Though make sure to check opening times as some may have changed due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Start your resolutions early
Kitchen seller Wren Kitchens did a study that found that the average Briton, for example, consumes 6,000 calories on Christmas Day alone. So rather than waiting until January 1, start moving your body now. Get your family out to the parks.
Go back to work
This year, there are four working days between Christmas and New Year. While that may give you a splendid amount of time with your family, for some, work could feel like more of a holiday than being at home. Arrange some playdates for the kids and take a break back at your desk.
Many workplaces are mostly deserted during crimbo limbo and people often work shorter days. Some people swear by working the week between Christmas and New Year with unofficial reduced hours to save their precious days for a more extended summer vacation.
You could always cozy up with your family in pajamas on the sofa with leftovers and turn them into AvGeeks by binge-watching the TPG U.K. Youtube channel.
There are plenty of things to do between Christmas and New Year rather than arguing with your family or letting the kids drive you crazy. Do some planning, get out and about and remember, it’s the season of goodwill!
Featured image by Klaus Vedfelt/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees