How to survive ‘crimbo limbo’ with your family
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This story has been updated.
On December 26 after the presents are opened, you’re finishing up the leftovers and the children have already played with their new toys — “crimbo limbo” can set in.
This usually refers to the days between Christmas and New Year when you start to get itchy feet but still have a few days before New Year’s Eve. For those with school-aged children, crimbo limbo can be a challenge.
Here are a few things to do to during that week to keep everyone entertained.
Start planning a new trip
One of the best ways to get out of a bad mood is to start planning your 2021 trips. If you are subject to a strict school calendar, you can book great fares for next October half term in the current New Years’ sales.
Plan your points and miles strategy for 2021
Are you going to commit to one alliance for status this year? Is 2021 your year to fly business class as a family for the first time? Do you have an idea of where you are going to transfer your American Express Membership Rewards? 2021 could be the year that your family stops hoarding points.
Experience some culture
Museums normally operate in the period between Christmas and New Year. Though make sure to check opening times as some may have changed due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Start your resolutions early
Kitchen seller Wren Kitchens did a study that found that the average Briton, for example, consumes 6,000 calories on Christmas Day alone. So rather than waiting until January 1, start moving your body now. Get your family out to the parks.
Go back to work
This year, there are four working days between Christmas and New Year. While that may give you a splendid amount of time with your family, for some, work could feel like more of a holiday than being at home. Arrange some playdates for the kids and take a break back at your desk.
Many workplaces are mostly deserted during crimbo limbo and people often work shorter days. Some people swear by working the week between Christmas and New Year with unofficial reduced hours to save their precious days for a more extended summer vacation.
You could always cozy up with your family in pajamas on the sofa with leftovers and turn them into AvGeeks by binge-watching the TPG U.K. Youtube channel.
There are plenty of things to do between Christmas and New Year rather than arguing with your family or letting the kids drive you crazy. Do some planning, get out and about and remember, it’s the season of goodwill!
Featured image by Klaus Vedfelt/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.