Starbucks is making it easier to earn that next free cup of coffee
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s official: The magic of pumpkin spice everything is back on the menu at Starbucks.
But that’s not the only Starbucks news brewing. The way you earn Starbucks Rewards Stars for your next free coffee, pumpkin spice latte, Frappuccino or cake pop is changing a bit, too.
New to The Points Guy? Want to learn more about credit card points and miles? Sign up for our free daily newsletter.
Starbucks is a revenue-based loyalty program, and you earn 2 Starbucks Stars per $1 spent when paying in Starbucks with a preloaded Starbucks Card (which you can reload quickly and easily in the Starbucks app).
But beginning Sept. 15, you’ll also be able to earn 1 Star per $1 if you decide to pay with cash, debit, a credit card or a mobile wallet. More ways to earn rewards is a good thing in a pinch — but you can do better.
To earn double the number of Stars you earn, simply load money to your Starbucks app with your credit card before placing your order. You can do this from your Starbucks app in about two or three clicks.
The best credit card to use to load your Starbucks account is probably the one that’s most rewarding for dining charges. For example, the Citi Prestige® Card awards 5x Citi Thank You points per dollar when dining at restaurants, the American Express® Gold Card awards 4x Amex Membership Rewards points at restaurants and the Chase Sapphire Reserve awards 3x Chase Ultimate Rewards points per dollar when dining out.
That way, you’ll be earning credit card rewards while also racking up Starbucks Stars.
The Starbucks Rewards Visa Card is another possibility. While it may seem like a smart choice for the venti-obsessed, you can actually earn more rewards on your Starbucks fill-ups using one of the previously mentioned (and much more versatile) rewards credit cards.
The information for the Starbucks Rewards Visa card and the Citi Prestige card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Regardless of how you pay, be sure and earn those Stars. Starbucks Stars are worth about 4 to 5 cents each, depending on how you use them.
25 Stars: Drink modifications (such as an extra shot)
50 Stars: Any size hot coffee, tea or a bakery item
150 Stars: Handcrafted beverages (including iced coffee), oatmeal or a breakfast sandwich
200 Stars: Lunch sandwiches, salads or protein boxes
400 Stars: Packaged coffee or a single merchandise item up to $20
A new way to earn Stars at Starbucks isn’t groundbreaking, but it’s good for those who may not always be in a postion to load more funds to a Starbucks Card.
But don’t forget, it’s very possible to double-dip and earn both Stars and credit card rewards at the same time … while enjoying your next pumpkin cream cold brew, of course.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees