Spending less than $26 for the best flight of my life: My best redemption of 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Nicky Kelvin is TPG U.K.’s director of content.
The TPG U.K. team is a savvy bunch, and as miles and points experts, we often put our money where our mouths are and compete for fantastic redemptions. But this year, I made an absolute killer redemption.
I was aiming for something big. Something sexy. I wanted to lay out minimal cash, but I was ready to burn through some points. And what could be more big or sexy than the new Singapore Suites.
I worked out that availability on the new suite was easier to come by on the quiet Singapore to Zurich route, and so with a holiday to Bali planned, I set about finding my return ticket. I wait-listed the flights, and within weeks, they cleared.
For 125,000 KrisFlyer miles and £19 ($25) tax, not only did I get this wonderful long flight in the new suite, but I also had a business-class flight from Bali to Singapore thrown in on the same ticket for the same price, per the rules of the zone-based KrisFlyer program.
The flight was everything I hoped for and more. I was the only passenger in the six available suites and had four crew looking after me. The food and cabin were incredible, but the service really took this flight to the next level, and it was honestly the best flight of my life.
Even better, the redemption is easily accessible, as Singapore KrisFlyer miles are relatively easy to accrue. The KrisFlyer program is a transfer partner of the American Express Membership Rewards program. Meaning, if you earn Membership Rewards points on an Amex card, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express, you can transfer them to Singapore at a 1:1 rate — so one Amex point equals one KrisFlyer mile. KrisFlyer miles can also be earned when flying on any Star Alliance airline (along with some other partners). The first step to a redemption for Singapore’s suites is to make sure you can earn the miles needed in order to do so.
What I learned
I learned that in pursuit of the perfect redemption, you have to set a goal. Do you want to save money? Do you want to see a new and exciting place in the world? Do you want to fly a product you could never otherwise afford if you paid cash?
For me, it was the latter option. I would not be able to pay for a cash ticket in my wildest dreams, as they tend to hover around the £5,000 ($6.540) mark from Bali to Zurich. The sheer value I was getting out of the points made the redemption even more sweet. Or should I say, suite.
As we’re set to enter a new year, it’s the optimal time to get to thinking about what you want to do. Do you want to fly that lush product that’s too expensive otherwise, do you want to save some cash on a revenue fare or do you want to cross a new destination off your bucket list? Set your 2020 goal, and use our tools to help get you there. You won’t regret it!
Featured photo by Nicky Kelvin/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees