Who are Friends of Bill W. and Dorothy on cruises?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve ever sat scratching your head over the “Friends of Dorothy” and “Friends of Bill W.” get-togethers listed in your cruise ship’s daily newsletter, you’re not alone.
Many people have asked, “Who is Bill W. on cruise ships?” No, Bill’s not an avid cruiser, but many of his pals — and Dorothy’s — are.
For cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s cruise newsletter.
Friends of Bill W.
Bill W. refers to Bill Wilson, one of the founders of Alcoholics Anonymous. “Friends of Bill W.” is code for AA meetings, inviting recovering alcoholics to meet during their sailings, especially if they find it difficult to be around others who are imbibing.
On a cruise, Friends of Bill W. join together on board to support one another in their mission to abstain from drinking. The term Friends of Bill W. allows for anonymity and gives AA attendees a subtle way to find one another and continue meetings on vacation.
Friends of Dorothy
The “Friends of Dorothy” are members of the LGBTQ+ community.
It’s rumored that Dorothy refers to the main character from “The Wizard of Oz,” played by gay icon Judy Garland. Due to the movie’s affinity for rainbows and Dorothy’s unconventional band of misfits, the film and its star have resonated with the LGBTQ+ community for decades.
Although Friends of Bill W. meetings still regularly appear on vessels’ onboard schedules as such, it has become somewhat stilted to refer to LGBTQ+ gatherings as Friends of Dorothy meetings. Instead, they are simply called what they are, similar to meetups for solos, teens and other passenger groups. The get-togethers are typically held in an onboard bar or lounge, sometimes hosted by a member of the ship’s entertainment staff, allowing LGBTQ+ passengers to meet each other and socialize.
Got more cruise questions? TPG has answers:
- Man overboard: Why do people fall off cruise ships?
- What is baked Alaska, and why is it paraded around cruise ships?
- What are the largest cruise ships in the world?
- What is a gentleman host on a cruise?
- What is the Jones Act and how does it affect cruise ships?
- What is a lido deck on a cruise ship?
- What’s a cruise cabin guarantee and will it save you money?
- What’s the difference between a cruise concierge and a butler?
Featured photo by Cordelia Molloy/Science Photo Library/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees