No saver space, no problem: How to unlock additional award availability with United
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated with updated information on United Airlines’ credit cards.
The United MileagePlus program has undergone some significant changes over the last few years. Most notably, the airline pulled its award charts for both United-operated flights and partner flights, so saver award space — award seats requiring fewer miles — are now even more valuable. The airline also made big changes to how we earn elite status, along with program adjustments due to the coronavirus.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
What elites have access to this benefit?
Let’s start with some good news. All United MileagePlus elites have access to expanded award availability, regardless of whether you’re an entry-level Silver member or invite-only Global Services member. This benefit is exclusive to United elites and, unfortunately, doesn’t extend to other Star Alliance elites. You also must be redeeming miles from your United account to take advantage of this benefit. For instance, just because you’re a United elite doesn’t mean that you can unlock additional award availability when booking through a partner like Air Canada Aeroplan or Turkish Miles and Smiles.
Which United credit cards offer expanded award availability?
If you don’t have elite status, you can unlock this benefit with a cobranded United credit card. Aside from the new no-annual-fee United Gateway Card, all United credit cards from Chase offer this expanded award availability:
- United Explorer Card — Earn 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
- United Business Card — Earn 75,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
- United Quest Card — Earn 80,000 bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open.
- United Club Infinite Card — Earn 75,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open.
- United Club Business Card — Earn 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first three months your account is open
The information for the United Club Business card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Related: The best credit cards for United Airlines flyers
Finding award space
United tends to offer more saver award space than most other frequent flyer programs. But that’s not saying much these days, when most airlines offer few seats at the lowest mileage levels, even as they give out plenty of miles to travelers and those who use cobranded airline credit cards.
Meanwhile, United’s MileagePlus program has three things going for it. First, it has one of the best online award search engines, along with its intuitive mobile app. United generally shows every partner’s award space, but not always.
Second, it’s one of the only frequent flyer programs that never imposes fuel surcharges on awards. This allows you to book award seats on any partner carrier and only pay government-imposed taxes and fees.
Third, the United Explorer Card, United Quest Card and the United Club Infinite Card (as well as its business counterparts) offer better saver-level availability. This is the same benefit it offers to its MileagePlus members with elite status, and it’s the primary reason many people even have a MileagePlus credit card.
An example of increased saver award availability
Let’s look for an award seat from Orlando to Denver. Without logging in, we find seats for the first flight listed at 16,000 miles each.
But once you log in as a United cardholder, you see the same flight at the Saver level of 12,500 miles.
How expanded saver availability works
Once you’re logged in and have Expert Mode enabled, you can then see the fare codes. However, this only works when searching for revenue fares — not awards.
The X fare class is the economy-class saver award space open to everyone; the XN fare class is only accessible to United credit card holders and United elites. In the example above, you can see that UA 2364 departing Orlando at 6:10 a.m. has at least nine saver award seats in the XN fare class offered to United credit cardholders and elites. Meanwhile, there are zero seats in the X fare class offered to everyone else.
You can imagine how critical this feature can be, especially for family travelers. If you have a United credit card, always be sure to log in to your MileagePlus account when searching for award space. Otherwise, it won’t return the XN class results, reserved for cardholders and those with elite status.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees