This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard is offering 60,000 bonus miles after you make a purchase within the first 90 days of card opening and pay the card’s $95 annual fee.
This card turns a lot of heads with its spending requirement for earning the sign-up bonus. Or lack of one: This card requires just one purchase to earn the bonus — and there’s no minimum amount to the purchase.
Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, those 60,000 AAdvantage miles are worth $840. But, there are ways of getting so much more value out of these miles. First, this is enough for a one-way business-class flight to Europe. And, if you book on American Airlines, it’ll cost you just $5.60 out of pocket. If you don’t want to mess with AA availability, you can get a ton of value out of 60,000 through AA’s partners. In fact, we have a whole article showing you how.
Ongoing Card Benefits
With the Aviator Red card, you’ll earn 2x miles on American Airlines purchases and 1x miles on all other purchases. You and up to four companions will get your first checked bag for free when traveling on domestic itineraries operated by American Airlines. In addition, you’ll get preferred boarding when flying American Airlines domestically, 25% inflight savings on food and beverages, you’ll earn 10% of your redeemed miles back and there are no foreign transaction fees. The card used to offer the ability to earn elite-qualifying dollars (EQDs) toward AAdvantage elite status, but this was recently phased out (though other Aviator cards still offer EQDs for hitting spending thresholds).
Perhaps best of all, this is one of the cards that can help you defeat basic economy. Thanks to the preferred boarding and checked bag privileges, you’ll be able to carry on and check a bag even if you’re flying on a basic economy ticket.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees