Now with new merchants — complete guide to the Amex Gold dining credit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There are plenty of perks that come with the American Express® Gold Card, including bonus points on dining and grocery purchases along with monthly Uber Cash for rides and Uber Eats orders in the U.S. There’s even an option to get a rose gold version of the card.
But in addition to these great benefits, there’s one more that may be under your radar: the monthly dining credit.
The Amex Gold gives cardholders up to $120 per year in statement credits — up to $10 per month — for dining purchases, valid at select merchants. While you do need to enroll your card to use this benefit, it’s a great way to save money every month. In fact, maximizing this perk would cover nearly half of the card’s $250 annual fee (see rates and fees).
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for TPG daily newsletter.
And you now have three new merchants at which to use these credits: Milk Bar, Goldbelly and Wine.com. Meanwhile, two previously eligible brands — Boxed and Ruth’s Chris Steak House — are no longer participating in the program.
Read on for the complete guide on how to use the Amex Gold dining credit.
Eligible merchants for the Amex Gold dining credit
The first thing you should know about the Amex Gold dining credit is which merchants are still eligible, as some have now been removed. Here is the current list of participating locations from which you can receive $10 in statement credits each month:
- The Cheesecake Factory.
- Participating Shake Shack locations (excludes stadiums, airports and racetracks).
- New: Wine.com.
- New: Goldbelly.
- New: Milk Bar.
After you enroll and then use your Amex Gold card at any one of these merchants, you’ll automatically receive a statement credit of up to $10 each month.
As an example, TPG’s director of content Nick Ewen’s Amex Gold card currently has an offer for $5 back on a purchase of $25 or more at Milk Bar (one of the new eligible merchants). This will stack with the dining credit, so if you place a $30 order before the Amex Offer expires, you could get a total of $15 back in statement credits.
However, you’ll need to enroll your card in the benefit before shopping in order to trigger the credit.
Read more: American Express Gold Card review
How to enroll in the Amex Gold dining credit
There are two ways to enroll your Amex Gold to receive the dining credit: online or through the mobile app on your smart device.
From the app, you’ll choose the “Membership” icon at the bottom of your homepage and then tap “Explore All Card Benefits” to see a full list of perks — some of which require enrollment. From there, find the “$120 Dining Credit” and whether you’re already enrolled.
If not, tap on it, and you’ll be taken to a page that allows you to complete enrollment.
If using a desktop or laptop computer, log in to your American Express account and navigate to your Amex Gold. Click on “Rewards and Benefits,” then click on “Benefits” on the right side of the page (inside of the blue menu bar).
From there, you should see the option to enroll in the $120 dining credit.
Note that you only need to complete enrollment once — you don’t need to do it on a monthly basis. Once your card is registered, you’ll be able to use the dining credit in the current month and all subsequent months moving forward.
Aside from the requirement to enroll your card in order to receive the monthly statement credit, there are a few additional caveats for the Amex Gold dining credit.
First, the dining credit is different from the Uber benefit on the card. When you add your Amex Gold Card to your Uber and/or Uber Eats account, you’ll receive $10 in Uber Cash every month, valid for Uber Eats orders as well as Uber rides in the U.S.
While you can use your Uber Cash at any restaurant available through the Uber Eats app, you can only use the dining credit at the select merchants mentioned above. However, having Grubhub as an eligible brand opens up a wide variety of dining spots — and you might even find a new favorite in the process.
Additionally, you must enroll your card either online or through the app before making your purchase in order to receive the credit. And the credit should post to your account within a few days — though the terms and conditions indicate that it could take two to four weeks to arrive.
While you’re limited to a total of $120 in credits per year on the account as the primary cardholder, purchases by authorized users will trigger this perk (up to the $10 monthly limit).
And lastly, the dining credit cannot be used toward the purchase of gift cards or merchandise.
You can earn $120 annually in statement credits at select food merchants through the dining credit on your American Express Gold Card. Enrollment is required but can be done in a few simple steps from either a computer or the app on your smart device.
This allows you to earn up to $10 per month when spending at select merchants, including new additions Wine.com, Goldbelly and Milk Bar.
Whether you’re a new Amex Gold cardmember or have held the card for years, make sure you enroll for this dining credit — and then start enjoying up to $10 back every month.
For rates and fees of the Amex Gold card, click here.
Featured photo by The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees