Wide Open American Award Availability to Caribbean From 5,000 Miles One-Way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®
American Airlines’ Economy Web Specials are still providing great value and availability on some routes is wide open, including flights to the Caribbean with rates starting from just 5,000 miles one-way. The discounted routes include flights from Miami (MIA) to Aruba (AUA) and Belize (BZE) as well as Chicago (ORD) and Montego Bay, Jamaica (MBJ). Last month, American added a slew of routes to its discount programs, and many of these deals appear to still be around.
Nonstop flights from Miami to Aruba can be had on almost any day of the month for just 5,000 miles. The nice part about these flights is that they are actually nonstop, unlike American’s Saver awards that usually route you through another city even when a nonstop is available.
At current TPG valuations, 5,000 American miles are worth approximately $70. Adding in taxes of just $15.60 brings the total value of these awards to as little as $85 one-way.
It’s not clear when this sale ends, but it’s probably better to book sooner rather than later. If you don’t want to use your miles, cash prices are pretty low on some routes as well, as cheap as $170 in some cases. In these instances, you may be better off paying cash if you’re worried about maximizing the value of your miles.
Routes: MIA/ORD to AUA/BZE/MBJ
Cost: From 5,000+ miles and $15.60 one-way in economy
Dates: January through the end of the calendar
Booking Link: Directly with American
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Miami (MIA) to Aruba (AUA) for 5,000 miles + $15.60 in taxes and fees one-way nonstop:
Chicago (ORD) to Montego Bay (MBJ) for 10,000 miles + $50 in taxes and fees one-way nonstop:
Miami (MIA) to Aruba (AUA) for 12,500 miles + $85 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Miami (MIA) to Belize City (BZE) for 12,500 miles + $78 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
How Economy Web Specials Works
We recommend reading through all of the details in this post about how Economy Web Specials works. However, as a quick briefer:
- These awards don’t have all of the American Airlines Basic Economy limitations.
- Executive Platinum elites get upgrades as they can on other domestic economy awards
- Where the American website says “Economy Web Specials cannot be changed once ticketed.” This isn’t defined but may mean that travelers can’t use Same Day Flight Changes to switch to another award flight on the same day.
- You can cancel and reinstate your miles according to the same terms as any other AAdvantage award. A redeposit fee of $150 for the first passenger and $25 per additional passenger applies for everyone but AAdvantage Executive Platinum elites.
- The “Economy Web Special” program is in addition to — but not replacing — the Reduced Mileage Award program.
If these awards leave your AAdvantage account depleted, here are some ways to replenish your account:
- Buy miles for as little as 1.77 cents each
- Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard: 50,000 American AAdvantage miles after spending $2,500 on purchases in the first three months of account opening.
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®: 50,000 miles after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first three months. Plus Admirals Club access for up to 33 travelers at a time.
- American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp Card: 10,000 miles and a $50 statement credit for spending $500 on purchases in the first three months — with no annual fee
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Additional reporting by JT Genter.
Featured image by Martin Passchier via Unsplash.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees