This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines’ Economy Web Specials are still providing great value and availability on some routes is wide open, including flights to the Caribbean with rates starting from just 5,000 miles one-way. The discounted routes include flights from Miami (MIA) to Aruba (AUA) and Belize (BZE) as well as Chicago (ORD) and Montego Bay, Jamaica (MBJ). Last month, American added a slew of routes to its discount programs, and many of these deals appear to still be around.
Nonstop flights from Miami to Aruba can be had on almost any day of the month for just 5,000 miles. The nice part about these flights is that they are actually nonstop, unlike American’s Saver awards that usually route you through another city even when a nonstop is available.
At current TPG valuations, 5,000 American miles are worth approximately $70. Adding in taxes of just $15.60 brings the total value of these awards to as little as $85 one-way.
It’s not clear when this sale ends, but it’s probably better to book sooner rather than later. If you don’t want to use your miles, cash prices are pretty low on some routes as well, as cheap as $170 in some cases. In these instances, you may be better off paying cash if you’re worried about maximizing the value of your miles.
Routes: MIA/ORD to AUA/BZE/MBJ
Cost: From 5,000+ miles and $15.60 one-way in economy
Dates: January through the end of the calendar
Booking Link: Directly with American
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Miami (MIA) to Aruba (AUA) for 5,000 miles + $15.60 in taxes and fees one-way nonstop:
Chicago (ORD) to Montego Bay (MBJ) for 10,000 miles + $50 in taxes and fees one-way nonstop:
Miami (MIA) to Aruba (AUA) for 12,500 miles + $85 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
Miami (MIA) to Belize City (BZE) for 12,500 miles + $78 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
How Economy Web Specials Works
We recommend reading through all of the details in this post about how Economy Web Specials works. However, as a quick briefer:
- These awards don’t have all of the American Airlines Basic Economy limitations.
- Executive Platinum elites get upgrades as they can on other domestic economy awards
- Where the American website says “Economy Web Specials cannot be changed once ticketed.” This isn’t defined but may mean that travelers can’t use Same Day Flight Changes to switch to another award flight on the same day.
- You can cancel and reinstate your miles according to the same terms as any other AAdvantage award. A redeposit fee of $150 for the first passenger and $25 per additional passenger applies for everyone but AAdvantage Executive Platinum elites.
- The “Economy Web Special” program is in addition to — but not replacing — the Reduced Mileage Award program.
If these awards leave your AAdvantage account depleted, here are some ways to replenish your account:
- Buy miles for as little as 1.77 cents each
- Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard: 60,000 miles after spending $3,000 in the first three months.
- Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite Mastercard: 50,000 miles after spending $5,000 in the first three months. Plus Admirals Club access for up to 33 travelers at a time.
- American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp Card: 10,000 miles and a $50 statement credit for spending $500 in three months — with no annual fee
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Additional reporting by JT Genter.
Featured image by Martin Passchier via Unsplash.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees