Today Only: Save up to 50% on United Awards to India
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines is planning to resume service between Newark (EWR) and both Mumbai (BOM) and New Delhi (DEL) beginning on September 6, and to celebrate the service resumption, the carrier is running a flash sale, giving some MileagePlus members up to a 50% discount on economy award flights.
The discount varies depending on your status level and whether or not you hold a co-branded credit card, such as United Explorer Card. Rates start at 42,500 miles round-trip — worth about $550 based on our valuations — and go up from there:
As a Premier 1K member with United Explorer Card, I’m eligible for the full discount, which appeared right away when searching on United.com — in theory, 42,500 miles would be hard to pass up, if I were in the market for an economy flight to India.
There’s phenomenal availability as well — officially, the discounted rate is available for travel between September 8 and November 3, though I don’t see it offered every single day, even if there’s saver award space on the Newark nonstop.
Also, it’s important to note that the sale only applies to regular economy — Premium Plus awards still price at United’s standard eye-watering rates, as do Polaris bookings.
The discount applies to any mainland US departures with saver availability, though, so you can connect from the West Coast, or anywhere else within the continental United States.
Depending on your origin and dates, you’d normally have to pay roughly $650-800 for a round-trip, including taxes and fees, though some markets are considerably more expensive — a round-trip from Salt Lake City (SLC) will set you back $1,150, for example. If your desired flights are available for $650, United’s sale doesn’t exactly represent the deal of a lifetime — a 42,500-mile redemption is far more reasonable than a $1,150 paid booking, however.
Just note that United flies the 777-300ER between Newark and Mumbai, so you’ll be stuck with the carrier’s super-dense 3-4-3 coach — a tight squeeze on one of the airline’s longest flights. As a reminder, your ticket must be issued today, August 20, 2019, in order to qualify for the discounted price.
Featured image by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees