Save on warm-weather trips with United’s ‘under $70 to over 70’ sale
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spring is almost upon us, but with chilly temps in store for at least the next few weeks, United’s taking this opportunity to remind us that warm-weather trips are within reach.
This week, United Airlines launched a promotion highlighting low-cost escapes to warmer weather, with “fares under $70 to destinations over 70 degrees.” The carrier is advertising award rates starting at 7,000 miles each way, as well — another play on those 70+ temps.
I’ve been seeing plenty of sub-$70 one-way flights on United and other carriers over the past few weeks, so this isn’t as much a “sale” as an opportunity for the airline to remind us that flights are cheap right now. I’m itching for a warm-weather escape, though, so I’m happy to bite.
Routes: between ATL/IAH/LAS/LAX/MCO/MCY/MIA/PBI/PHX/PSP/RSW/SAV/SNA/TPA and more
Cost: $70 and less one-way
Dates: No specific booking or travel limitations
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel ; earn 5x points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year, starting Jan. 1, 2021), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
While I wasn’t able to find any fares approaching Southwest sale territory — with plenty of options in the $29 range — you don’t have to look far to find United fares far below the advertised $70 threshold.
Generally, you’ll find plenty of options below $60 each way, with reasonable (~$200) flights available in first class, too.
Award rates are also as-advertised — flights with low cash fares can often be found with sub-7,000-mile awards as well.
While you’re likely to find impressive fares to many destinations around the U.S., note that many flights book into basic economy and exclude seat assignments and carry-on bags.
You can make free changes to basic economy flights when you book by the end of March — while you might want to buy up to regular coach, basic economy bookings do include some flexibility for now.
In some cases, the buy-up to regular economy is entirely reasonable. Take this $46 flight from Newark (EWR) to Miami (MIA):
Booking the same flight in regular coach requires just a $13 up-charge — I’d happily pay that to have seat assignments and a carry-on bag any day.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo courtesy of United Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees