Deal Alert: Southwest fares as low as $29 or 1,100 points each way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest is no stranger to flight sales, and $29 fares are hard to ignore — especially when paired with the airline’s phenomenal Companion Pass, which you can still snag with little effort for the next few days.
This week, the airline is offering discounts on flights booked by 11:59pm CT on Thursday, March 4, 2021. Travel dates range from April 13 through June 2 for eligible domestic and international flights, and through May 26 for flights to and from Hawaii.
You likely won’t see the lowest advertised fares every day — weekend flights are generally excluded, and certain mid-week days may not be available, depending on the route.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Routes: between AUS/MTJ/OAK/SJU/PHX/LGA/MSY/HNL/OGG/KOA/LIH/ITO/AUS/DAL/STL and more
Cost: from $29, $39, $49 or $99 one-way
Dates: Book by March 4 for travel between April 13 and June 2 — discounted rates may extend beyond advertised dates.
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel ; earn 5x points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year, starting Jan. 1, 2021), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here are some examples of flights you might find discounted as part of the sale:
- As low as $29 one-way between New Orleans (MSY) and Houston (HOU)
- As low as $29 one-way between Baltimore/Washington (BWI) and LaGuardia (LGA)
- As low as $29 one-way between Phoenix (PHX) and Palm Springs (PSP)
- As low as $54 one-way between Nashville (BNA) and Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
- As low as $99 one-way between Long Beach (LGB) and Honolulu (HNL)
- As low as $99 one-way between Long Beach and Maui (OGG)
As a general rule of thumb, the shorter the distance, the lower the fare — you won’t find transcon flights or hops to Hawaii within that $29 range. There are plenty of low-cost flights available, though, such as Salt Lake City (SLC) to Las Vegas (LAS) for 29 bucks:
Or just 1,058 points, plus the $5.60 TSA fee:
You can score that bargain-basement price on flights between the Hawaiian islands, too.
Fares between hubs can be quite reasonable as well, such as the $49 you’ll pay each way between Dallas and Chicago.
Or you can lock in your flight with an entire reasonable 2,510 Rapid Rewards points, plus the $5.60 security fee.
Flights between the mainland and Hawaii are on sale as well, though they’ll cost you a bit more.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Summer Hull/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees