Deal Alert: Southwest fares as low as $29 or 1,100 points each way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year). Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Southwest is no stranger to flight sales, and $29 fares are hard to ignore — especially when paired with the airline’s phenomenal Companion Pass, which you can still snag with little effort for the next few days.
This week, the airline is offering discounts on flights booked by 11:59pm CT on Thursday, March 4, 2021. Travel dates range from April 13 through June 2 for eligible domestic and international flights, and through May 26 for flights to and from Hawaii.
You likely won’t see the lowest advertised fares every day — weekend flights are generally excluded, and certain mid-week days may not be available, depending on the route.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Routes: between AUS/MTJ/OAK/SJU/PHX/LGA/MSY/HNL/OGG/KOA/LIH/ITO/AUS/DAL/STL and more
Cost: from $29, $39, $49 or $99 one-way
Dates: Book by March 4 for travel between April 13 and June 2 — discounted rates may extend beyond advertised dates.
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel ; earn 5x points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year, starting Jan. 1, 2021), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige Card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here are some examples of flights you might find discounted as part of the sale:
- As low as $29 one-way between New Orleans (MSY) and Houston (HOU)
- As low as $29 one-way between Baltimore/Washington (BWI) and LaGuardia (LGA)
- As low as $29 one-way between Phoenix (PHX) and Palm Springs (PSP)
- As low as $54 one-way between Nashville (BNA) and Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
- As low as $99 one-way between Long Beach (LGB) and Honolulu (HNL)
- As low as $99 one-way between Long Beach and Maui (OGG)
As a general rule of thumb, the shorter the distance, the lower the fare — you won’t find transcon flights or hops to Hawaii within that $29 range. There are plenty of low-cost flights available, though, such as Salt Lake City (SLC) to Las Vegas (LAS) for 29 bucks:
Or just 1,058 points, plus the $5.60 TSA fee:
You can score that bargain-basement price on flights between the Hawaiian islands, too.
Fares between hubs can be quite reasonable as well, such as the $49 you’ll pay each way between Dallas and Chicago.
Or you can lock in your flight with an entire reasonable 2,510 Rapid Rewards points, plus the $5.60 security fee.
Flights between the mainland and Hawaii are on sale as well, though they’ll cost you a bit more.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Summer Hull/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.