Deal Alert: Southwest Sale Offering Flights From $29 One-Way
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
In order to seal the deal, you must book before midnight Pacific Standard Time on August 22. Not all routes are included, but nearly every mainland US city has at least one good deal. Unfortunately, flights from the continental US to the Hawaiian Islands are not part of the sale, but inter-island flights are. So if you already have a fall Hawaii trip planned, this sale could allow you to do some island hopping at a lower price.
All fares are nonrefundable, although Southwest does allow you to put nonrefundable travel credit toward a future flight within one year of the original purchase date. And if you’ve already made a reservation through Southwest and later find that the price of the ticket has decreased, you can request the difference in fare with no change fees. Also remember that Southwest award redemptions are tied to the ticket’s price, so this is a prime opportunity to use Southwest miles for a cheap trip. You can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to Southwest instantly at a 1:1 ratio.
If you’re a Southwest fan and are working towards getting the coveted Companion Pass, you may want to consider one of the following credit cards since the welcome bonus count towards the 125,000 points needed to attain the amazing perk. However, you’ll want to read our story on what’s the best time to start pursuing the Companion Pass, since you can potentially have the perk for two calendar years.
Currently, Southwest is offering the following welcome bonuses on the following cards:
40 point Welcome Bonus. Earn 40,000 points after spending $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months account is open. Plus, earn an additional 35,000 points after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 6 months account is open.
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card
70,000 point Welcome Bonus: Earn 70,000 points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Performance business card
Here are few of the stand-out fares, however, there are quite a few options so be sure to take a look for yourself and see if any of the deals fit your travel plans.
Routes: Domestic routes and international routes
Cost: From $29+ one-way
Travel Dates: Domestic travel valid 9/10/19 – 3/4/20; fights to/from Puerto Rico valid 9/10/19 – 12/5/19 and 1/13/20-3/5/20; International travel valid 9/10/19 – 12/5/19 and 1/13/20-3/5/20
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Booking Link: Southwest.com
Honolulu (HNL) to Maui (OGG) for $29 one-way:
Honolulu (HNL) to Maui (OGG) from 1,379 points + $5.60 one-way:
Long Beach (LGB) to Sacramento (SMF) for $49 one-way:
Denver (DEN) to Dallas (DAL) for $53 one-way:
Houston (HOU) to Denver (DEN) from 2,517 points + $5.60 one-way:
Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) to Turks and Caicos (PLS) for $74 one-way:
Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) to Turks and Caicos (PLS) from 3,510 points + $5.60 one-way:
Columbus (CMH) to Norfolk (ORF) for $99 one-way: Atlanta (ATL) to Belize City (BZE) for $157 one-way:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured Photo by waterotter / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees