Southwest Airlines Drops 16 Daily Nonstop Routes In Latest Schedule Update
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hawaii took center stage as Southwest Airlines rolled out its latest schedule extension last week. But there were a several other big changes that got less attention as the carrier extended its schedule into March 2020.
Among the non-Hawaii changes: Daily nonstop service between Houston Hobby (HOU) and Little Rock, Arkansas, (LIT) will begin Jan. 6, returning Southwest to a route it last flew in 2014.
But the carrier also is dropping 16 other nonstop routes on which it currently offers daily service. The drops take effect Jan. 6.
Among the Southwest cities losing the most nonstop options are Los Angeles (four routes), Boston (three), Dallas Love Field (three) and Orlando (three).
“As we extend our published flight schedule through March 6, 2020, we are making some changes in some markets based on extensive performance reviews to end nonstop service between these city pairs,” Southwest spokesman Dan Landson said in a statement to TPG.
Landson said one-stop itineraries would be available on most of the nonstop options that are being discontinued, adding that the route changes would allow Southwest “to better utilize our People and Planes on routes or to offer more frequencies where demand warrants this investment.”
Already, Southwest announced in July that it will pull out of Newark Liberty (EWR) altogether in November.
As for the latest route drops at Southwest, the following nonstop routes will end as of Jan. 6:
- Austin-San Francisco
- Boston-Kansas City
- Columbus, Ohio-Oakland
- Dallas Love-Jacksonville, Florida
- Dallas Love-San Francisco
- Dallas Love-Oklahoma City
- Fort Lauderdale-Jacksonville, Florida
- Los Angeles-Cancun, Mexico
- Los Angeles-Omaha, Nebraska
- Los Angeles-Pittsburgh
- Los Angeles-Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- Orlando-San Jose, California
- Orlando-Sacramento, California
Also included in Southwest’s announcement last week were plans for five new Hawaii routes from California and three new “inter-island” routes within Hawaii.
Among the California airports getting new Hawaii service is Sacramento, where Honolulu will become Southwest’s first Hawaii route from the city when it launches on Jan. 19.
Featured image by Patrick T. Fallon for The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees