Southwest sale: Hawaii, NYC, Austin, San Diego and more from $39 or 2,105 points one way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Once again, Southwest is offering some sweet-spot sale fares for travelers who consider weekend getaways to Hawaii or New York as commonplace as grocery runs to Costco. These fares are available through Feb. 20, and we’ve noticed a number of dates showing prices lower than advertised on the sale page.
Even better yet, these flights are even cheaper to book if you have a bank of Southwest points, since Southwest award ticket prices are tied to the cash value of the fare. The cheapest routes are Hawaii intra-island flights at $39, or 2,105 Rapid Rewards points each way, and the lowest fares on the continental U.S. appear to begin at $45, or 2,227 Rapid Rewards points each way.
Routes: between LAX/OGG/HNL/SAN/SFO/DAL/MDW/FLL/ATL/DEN/AUS/MSY/SEA/LAS/PHX and many more
Cost: from $39 or 2,105 Rapid Rewards points one way
Dates: March —June 2020; most of the best dates are in March
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Honolulu (HNL) to Maui (OGG) for $78 round-trip nonstop:
Phoenix (PHX) to San Diego (SAN) for $90 round-trip nonstop:
Austin (AUS) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $90 round-trip nonstop:
San Francisco (SFO) to Denver (DEN) for $98 round-trip nonstop:
Chicago Midway (MDW) to Dallas Love Field (DAL) for $114 round-trip nonstop:
New York (LGA) to Atlanta (ATL) for $132 round-trip nonstop:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.