Southwest sale: Hawaii, NYC, Austin, San Diego and more from $39 or 2,105 points one way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Once again, Southwest is offering some sweet-spot sale fares for travelers who consider weekend getaways to Hawaii or New York as commonplace as grocery runs to Costco. These fares are available through Feb. 20, and we’ve noticed a number of dates showing prices lower than advertised on the sale page.
Even better yet, these flights are even cheaper to book if you have a bank of Southwest points, since Southwest award ticket prices are tied to the cash value of the fare. The cheapest routes are Hawaii intra-island flights at $39, or 2,105 Rapid Rewards points each way, and the lowest fares on the continental U.S. appear to begin at $45, or 2,227 Rapid Rewards points each way.
Routes: between LAX/OGG/HNL/SAN/SFO/DAL/MDW/FLL/ATL/DEN/AUS/MSY/SEA/LAS/PHX and many more
Cost: from $39 or 2,105 Rapid Rewards points one way
Dates: March —June 2020; most of the best dates are in March
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
The information for the Citi Prestige has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Honolulu (HNL) to Maui (OGG) for $78 round-trip nonstop:
Phoenix (PHX) to San Diego (SAN) for $90 round-trip nonstop:
Austin (AUS) to Los Angeles (LAX) for $90 round-trip nonstop:
San Francisco (SFO) to Denver (DEN) for $98 round-trip nonstop:
Chicago Midway (MDW) to Dallas Love Field (DAL) for $114 round-trip nonstop:
New York (LGA) to Atlanta (ATL) for $132 round-trip nonstop:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees