Deal Alert: Southwest Flights to Hawaii From $99 or 5,848 Points One-Way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Back when Southwest got approval to fly to Hawaii, it launched incredible deals with one-way flights between the mainland and Hawaii starting at just $49 one-way. But we haven’t seen anything close to a deal on these high-demand Southwest flights since. That is, until now.
Southwest just put new Hawaii routes on sale, and Dan’s Deals points out that prices are starting at just $99 one-way between California and Hawaii or just $29 one-way intra-Hawaii. To search, head to Southwest’s website and enter your origin and destination cities. I’d recommend using the Low Fare Calendar to find cheap dates.
There are also cheap tickets from Hawaii back to the mainland, but they won’t be as cheap as $99. You’ll likely see them priced from $119 to $139.
Remember that Southwest has a value-based point system. That means when cash fares are cheap, points fares are also cheap. That means that you can book flights to Hawaii now for just 1,950 miles each way, blowing away your next-cheapest point option. If you need more Southwest points, you can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to Southwest instantaneously.
Routes: SJC/OAK/HNL/OGG to LIH/KOA
Cost: $29+ (1,379 points) one-way intra-Hawaii or $99+ (5,848 points) one-way between California and Hawaii
Dates: January-March 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
San Jose (SJC) to Kauai (LIH) for $99 or 5,848 points one-way nonstop:
San Jose (SJC) to Kona (KOA) for $99 or 5,848 points one-way nonstop:
Oakland (OAK) to Kauai (LIH) for $99 or 5,848 points one-way nonstop:
Honolulu (HNL) to Kauai (LIH) for $29 or 1,379 points one-way nonstop:
Kahului, Maui (OGG) to Kona (KOA) for $29 or 1,379 points one-way nonstop:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by M Swiet Productions via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- New! American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. Now there are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- $695 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees