Southwest Can Officially Fly to Hawaii; Tickets Will Be Announced in ‘Coming Days’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest Airlines received official certification from the Federal Aviation Administration on Wednesday to operate its much-anticipated flights to Hawaii.
The budget carrier has been working with the FAA for the last few months to receive its Extended Range Twin-engine Operational Performance Standards (ETOPS) verification, which all airlines flying twin-engine planes — like Southwest’s Boeing 737s — over oceans need. The certification process included test flights and other exercises with aviation officials to prove the airline could meet the standards to operate flights on such a long stretch, from the West Coast to Hawaii, without airports to divert to.
“Today, the FAA officially granted ETOPS authorization to Southwest Airlines,” the airline said in a statement to TPG. “Now that we have the authorization, Southwest Teams will finalize our plans for offering service to Hawaii, and we’ll publicly announce our timing for selling tickets and inaugurating flights to the Hawaiian Islands in the coming days.”
Now that Southwest officially has its ETOPS credentials, the airline could be announcing ticket prices and schedules and begin selling fares to the Aloha State any day now. Southwest says flyers interested in the its “service intentions” for Hawaii can go to Southwest.com/Hawaii.
Southwest has said it will launch flights from Oakland (OAK), San Diego (SAN), San Jose (SJC), and Sacramento (SMF) to Honolulu (Oahu), Kahului (Maui), Kona (Island of Hawaii), and Lihue (Kauai). The carrier says it will also offer inter-island service.
Featured photo by Marco Garcia/The Points Guy.
Which Southwest Credit Card Should I Get?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees