Rare airfare deal to Zanzibar from East Coast hubs for under $700
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It is not every day that we see flights to Zanzibar, let alone round-trip flights from two East Coast hubs, for less than $700 round-trip.
About 22 miles off the coast of Tanzania, Zanzibar is an archipelago in the Indian Ocean.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airlines: Delta and KLM.
Routes: New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and Washington, D.C.’s Dulles International Airport (IAD) to Abeid Amani Karume International Airport (ZNZ).
How to book: Directly through the airline.
Travel dates: November 2022, including some availability over Thanksgiving, and January-March 2023.
Book by: One-two days.
This deal was originally sent out from Scott’s Cheap Flights. Sign up for a Premium membership — which users can try for free for 14 days or $49 per year — and get deals up to 90% off. You can also upgrade to the Elite tier for $199 per year and receive all the Premium deals plus premium economy, business-class and first-class alerts.
Although this deal is limited in scope, it is still worth considering for East Coast travelers in particular, since round-trip flights are available starting in the low $600s from Dulles International Airport (IAD) and around $650 from John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK).
Since this deal is only from two cities, you can either search via Google Flights or head to the carriers directly to investigate availability. For the JFK-ZNZ route, Delta says it only has one seat left for the sale price, which is actually slightly less than advertised at $640.
This flight is for Delta’s economy class, which includes two free checked bags (unusual) and one free carry-on. For this long-haul flight specifically, dinner and snacks are included in this fare type. It is nonrefundable, but it can be changed for a fee plus any difference in fare.
When searching on Google Flights, you’ll notice that you can book this same flight through KLM for $732.
Because there are only two options for this flight, let’s determine the cost of available flights in miles. For example, booking this flight through KLM would cost nearly 170,000 KLM Flying Blue miles. Based on the TPG Awards vs. Cash Calculator, it would be a way better deal to use cash to book this flight.
If you wanted to use Delta SkyMiles, you would have to modify your outgoing flight slightly to an earlier departure time, as shown below.
This flight would cost 80,000 Delta SkyMiles plus $164, which means using cash is also a better deal here as well.
Since the Delta cash fare is cheaper than booking through KLM for $732, book through Delta to save almost $100.
Maximize your purchase
To book this deal, be sure to use a card that earns bonus points on airfare purchases, such as the Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card or Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card for 2 points per mile on airfare purchased directly with Delta, or the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum American Express Card or Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card for 3 points per mile on airfare purchased directly with Delta. Or try The Platinum Card® from American Express (5 points per mile on airfare booked directly with the airline or through American Express Travel, on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2 points per mile on travel).
See TPG’s guide for more information on how to best maximize airfare purchases.
Flights to Zanzibar at more than half off are rare, so be sure to book quickly before they’re gone.
Featured photo by golero/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees