Delta Flash Sale: Japan From 54,000 SkyMiles Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
For anyone with a stash of Delta SkyMiles, the last few weeks haven’t been too bad. Delta’s been running deals on award flights including itineraries to Europe for just 22,000 SkyMiles round-trip. The airline has now added Tokyo as another discounted destination. There are only a handful of routes advertised by Delta, but it appears to cover many more departure cities than just the one’s listed:
Although Delta doesn’t publish an award chart, it’s highly unlikely to see rates to Japan for lower than 70,000 miles round-trip. So while Los Angeles (LAX) is truly the only discounted city, all other cities have wide open availability (including non-stop flights) at the 70,000 mile rate. Some routes allow travelers to fly aboard Delta’s new flagship aircraft, the Airbus A350, which features a 3-3-3 layout in economy.
These awards book into Main Cabin, not basic economy. So, you’ll be able to check up to a 50 pound bag each way for free.
If you’re short on miles, remember that you can instantly transfer American Express Membership Rewards points into your SkyMiles account at 1:1 ratio.
Routes: US Cities (ATL/JFK/LAX/SFO/SEA/MSP/BOS/DTW/PDX and likely others) to Tokyo (HND/NRT)
Cost: 54,000+ SkyMiles and $46+ round-trip in economy
Dates: August 30 – December 9, 2018
Purchase By: August 29
Booking Link: Directly with Delta
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Tokyo Haneda (HND) for 54,000 miles + $46 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
New York (JFK) to Tokyo Narita (NRT) for 70,000 miles + $51 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Detroit (DTW) to Tokyo Narita (NRT) for 70,000 miles + $46 in taxes and fees round-trip nonstop:
San Francisco (SFO) to Tokyo Haneda (HND) for 70,000 miles + $51 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Seattle (SEA) to Tokyo (NRT) for 70,000 miles + $51 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Minneapolis (MSP) to Tokyo (NRT/HND) for 70,000 miles + $46 in taxes and fees round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases to pay the taxes and fees, such as the Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you don’t have enough SkyMiles in your account, consider signing up for one of the Delta credit cards to ensure you’re able to take advantage of a deal next time one pops up. For example, the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express currently comes with a bonus of 30,000 bonus miles after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within your first 3 months and a $50 Statement Credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Terms Apply.
Featured image by Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees