Southwest deal alert: Nonstop between Houston and Cozumel from $99 one-way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
My fellow Texans, rejoice: Southwest is giving us some extra LUV with the addition of a new nonstop daily route between Houston (HOU) and Cozumel (CZM), Mexico, beginning March 7, 2020.
This new flight gives travelers the option of heading straight to the island of Cozumel without having to fly in to Cancun and then ferry over. The airline already operates a nonstop route between Houston and Cancun (CUN), 55 miles north.
The nonstop routes fall at great times, too: There’s a noon departure time from Houston for people who would like to arrive just in time to check into their hotels, and an early evening departure time for people who want to knock out most of a day’s worth of work before relaxing on the beach. The return routes are great as well: You can leave Cozumel at 9 a.m. to get back to Houston before noon, or spend a little bit more time maximizing your late check-out privileges before departing Cozumel at 2:55 p.m., touching down in Houston by 5:25 p.m.
To celebrate the new route, Southwest is offering low rates from $99 one way, or 3,198 Rapid Rewards points plus taxes and fees from $34.09.
Routes: HOU to CZM
Cost: from $99 one-way, or 3,198 Rapid Rewards points + cash taxes and fees
Dates: September – March 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline or ) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here’s the Southwest low fares calendar for Cozumel returning to Houston in March:
Here are some examples of routes you can book:
Houston to Cozumel nonstop in March for $212.69 round trip:
Houston to Cozumel nonstop in April for $212.69 round trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.