This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest just got approval to fly to Hawaii, and it’s wasting no time launching flights! The first Southwest passenger flight from the mainland US to Hawaii takes off on March 17, and Southwest is launching flights with incredible pricing — even if you don’t have a Companion Pass.
To search, head to Southwest’s website and enter your origin and destination cities. I’d recommend using the Low Fare Calendar to find cheap dates.
Here’s everything you need to know about Southwest’s new service to Hawaii — including routes, launch dates and recommendations on how to book.
Remember that Southwest has a value-based point system. That means when cash fares are cheap, points fares are also cheap. That means that you can book flights to Hawaii now for just 1,950 miles each way, blowing away your next-cheapest point option. If you need more Southwest points, you can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to Southwest instantaneously.
Routes: OAK/SJC/LAS/SEA/PHX/LAX/AUS/HOU/DAL/EWR to HNL/OGG/KOA
Cost: $49+ or 1,950+ points one-way in economy
Book by: March 5
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance), Citi Premier Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve Card, American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Oakland (OAK) to Honolulu (HNL) for $49 or 1,950 points one-way nonstop:
Oakland (OAK) to Maui (OGG) for $49 or 1,950 points one-way nonstop:
San Jose (SJC) to Honolulu (HNL) for $49 or 1,950 points one-way nonstop:
San Jose (SJC) to Maui (OGG) for $49 or 1,950 points one-way nonstop:
Oakland (OAK) to Kona (KOA) for $79 or 3,977 points one-way 1-stop:
Las Vegas (LAS) to Honolulu (HNL) for $88 or 4,250 points one-way 1-stop:
Seattle (SEA) to Honolulu (HNL) for $88 or 4,278 points one-way 1-stop:
Phoenix (PHX) to Honolulu (HNL) for $88 or 4,250 points one-way 1-stop:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Honolulu (HNL) for $88 or 4,289 points one-way 1-stop:
Austin (AUS) to Honolulu (HNL) for $108 or 5,701 points one-way 1-stop:
Houston Hobby (HOU) to Honolulu (HNL) for $112 or 5,701 points one-way:
Dallas Love Field (DAL) to Honolulu (HNL) for $112 or 5,711 points one-way:
Newark (EWR) to Honolulu (HNL) for $162 or 9,384 points one-way:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare on plus excellent trip delay insurance), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list/
Featured image by M Swiet Productions via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees