Deal Alert: Rare Air New Zealand Business Class Award Space From Just 49,000 Points Each Way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air New Zealand has become infamous in the points and miles world for being extraordinarily stingy on releasing award availability between the US and New Zealand. But today, one of the rarest awards has been sighted in the wild, originally discovered by Gamesst on Reddit and signal-boosted by View From The Wing.
This just so happens to be occurring at a time where Air New Zealand awards are effectively on sale. Virgin Atlantic Flying Club is a partner of Air New Zealand — and there’s currently a 30% transfer bonus from American Express Membership Rewards to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club and a 30% transfer bonus from Citi ThankYou Points to Virgin Atlantic Flying Club.
Flying Club’s award rate for business class awards from the US to New Zealand on Air New Zealand is 62,500 each way. That’s already a deal compared to AA’s 80k rate, United’s 80k rate and whatever Delta feels like charging.
But thanks to these transfer bonuses, Flying Club’s reasonable award rates make for some downright-cheap award rates. The 30% transfer bonus means that you need to transfer just 49,000 Membership Rewards or ThankYou points to get enough Flying Club miles to book a one-way award. Or, transfer just 97,000 points to get enough to book a round-trip award.
The easiest way of searching this award availability is on United’s award availability calendar. Search one of the three routes that Air New Zealand flies to the US: Houston (IAH), Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO) to Auckland (AKL). Then, limit the award search to nonstop itineraries and look for the dates that have five dots — indicating premium cabin awards. Finally, call Virgin Atlantic’s reservation center at 800-365-9500 to book your award.
If you don’t have enough Flying Club miles in your account, you can put the award on hold. I’ve recently had success holding Flying Club award for 72 hours, leaving you enough time to transfer points from Amex or Citi.
Airline: Air New Zealand
Routes: IAH/LAX/SFO to AKL (and beyond)
Cost: 62,500 Virgin Atlantic Flying Club miles each way (49k Amex or Citi points)
Travel Dates: June-July 2019
Pay Taxes/Fees With: Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Houston (IAH) to Auckland (AKL) in Air New Zealand business class — via United calendar award search:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Auckland (AKL) in Air New Zealand business class — via United calendar award search:
San Francisco (SFO) to Auckland (AKL) in Air New Zealand business class — via United calendar award search:
Maximize Your Purchase
While we typically recommend using a credit card that maximizes your earnings on airfare purchases, the taxes and fees on these awards are so cheap that it’s worth focusing on the cards that offer excellent trip delay and cancellation insurance — such as the Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) and the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured image by Zach Honig / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees