Deal alert: Widespread cheap flights to Costa Rica from $226 round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list//
Flights to the Costa Rican capital of San José are available starting from $226 round-trip.
When it comes to activities in the Central American country, there’s no shortage of things to do — especially for families.
Note that all of these fares are in basic economy, which means you’ll have to pay extra for checked baggage. However, all of the airlines besides United allow for a free carry-on. Check out our guide to surviving United basic economy.
Related: The best times to visit Costa Rica
To search, head to Google Flights and enter your origin and destination cities. Scroll through the calendar function to find dates and prices that work for you. Finally, click through to book directly with the airline or through an OTA like Priceline or Expedia.
Airlines: Copa, JetBlue, United, American
Routes: FLL/MIA/BOS/AUS/ATL/CHS/JFK/BUF/RDU/ORD/LAS/DCA/CLE to SJO
Cost: $226+ round-trip in economy
Travel Dates: October 2019 – May 2020
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare booked directly with the airline or ) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here’s an example of what you can book:
Fort Lauderdale (FLL) to San Jose (SJO) for $226 round-trip on JetBlue:
Miami (MIA) to San Jose (SJO) for $226 round-trip on American:
Boston (BOS) to San Jose (SJO) for $298 round-trip when booked separately on Copa via Vayama and on Copa:
Austin (AUS) to San Jose (SJO) for $308 round-trip on United:
Atlanta (ATL) to San Jose (SJO) for $319 round-trip on JetBlue:
Charleston (CHS) to San Jose (SJO) for $319 round-trip on JetBlue:
New York (JFK) to San Jose (SJO) for $322 round-trip on JetBlue:
Buffalo (BUF) to San Jose (SJO) for $329 round-trip on JetBlue:
Raleigh (RDU) to San Jose (SJO) for $330 round-trip on JetBlue:
Chicago (ORD) to San Jose (SJO) for $226 round-trip on Copa:
Las Vegas (LAS) to San Jose (SJO) for $338 round-trip on United:
Washington D.C. (DCA) to San Jose (SJO) for $347 round-trip on JetBlue:
Cleveland (CLE) to San Jose (SJO) for $349 round-trip on JetBlue:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out our guide to the best cards for airfare purchases to learn more.
Featured photo by Matteo Colombo/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees