This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just in time for upcoming Black Friday and Cyber Monday shopping (which is already in effect), Amazon is once again offering its insanely popular promotional discount of 20% off Amazon purchases, up to $100 in total savings by using as few as one Membership Reward points from Amex cards such as the American Express® Gold Card. This promotion first popped up this summer in two different iterations, and like last time, it even works for most third-party gift card purchases, iPads and more. It’s basically a Thanksgiving morning miracle.
This offer is targeted to certain lucky Amazon customers, so you’ll click here to see if you’re eligible for the offer. If so, you’ll still have to click through the yellow “click to activate” button in order to utilize the discount. If the offer isn’t coming up for you, be sure to connect an American Express card that earns Membership Rewards to your Amazon account.
Additional promotion details are as follows:
- Save 20% off the original purchase price, up to $100 total savings.
- You must apply at least 1 Amex Membership Rewards point to the purchase
- You must use an American Express credit card to pay the balance (though you can also use Amazon gift cards to pay part of the balance).
- Promotion ends December 23, 2018, or when Amazon elects to end the promo, so don’t wait!
- Discount only applies to items sold by Amazon.com (Look for “sold by Amazon.com” or “sold by Amazon Digital Services LLC” on the product detail page). Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if “fulfilled by Amazon.com” or “Prime Eligible”.
- Promotional discount may not be redeemed for Amazon.com Gift Cards.
A few details to note:
- The system seems to default to paying for purchases with Membership Rewards once the promotion is activated, so be vigilant about updating the payment method if you don’t want to pay for up to $500 worth of purchases in MR points at a less than ideal redemption value.
- We don’t recommend spending more than one MR point toward the total, since you’ll get better redemption value for your points elsewhere. You can enter that as .01 in the points redemption field.
How to Maximize Amazon Savings
As a general rule, finding something to buy at Amazon isn’t all that difficult. But if you’re hoping to maximize your savings, definitely check out our Amazon Black Friday/Cyber Monday Shopping Guide that is being updated all week in real time.
Here are a few great deals on Amazon to stack the savings:
This latest model iPad is normally priced at $329, but is discounted right now to $249. Add on a 20% savings with this deal and your brand new iPad rings in at around $199! Should you need additional storage, the 128GB version is pricing at $379, which is $303 with the 20% discount.
The insanely popular Instant Pot usually retails for $99, but is currently going for $59.49 after clipping a coupon on the Amazon product page for an additional $8.50 off. Assuming you qualify for the 20% promotional discount as well, this would bring your total cost down to $47.59.
Should you want an even more powerful iPad, the 10.5″ Wi-Fi 64GB iPad Pro retails for $649, but is discounted to $524.99. With the additional 20% discount, you’d save a cool $220 on list price since the iPad would only cost you $424.99 plus tax.
Save 20% on Gift Cards
You can purchase most third-party gift card and enjoy a 20% discount. Think Starbucks, Whole Foods, Best Buy, Nordstrom, Airbnb, Southwest Airlines and more. If you select an immediately delivered e-gift card, you can then turn around and use those e-gift cards to pounce on Black Friday sales and deals offered by the third-party retailers.
H/T: Deals We Like
Featured image by Leon Neal/Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards