This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just in time for upcoming Black Friday and Cyber Monday shopping (which is already in effect), Amazon is once again offering its insanely popular promotional discount of 20% off Amazon purchases, up to $100 in total savings by using as few as one Membership Reward points from Amex cards such as the American Express® Gold Card. This promotion first popped up this summer in two different iterations, and like last time, it even works for most third-party gift card purchases, iPads and more. It’s basically a Thanksgiving morning miracle.
This offer is targeted to certain lucky Amazon customers, so you’ll click here to see if you’re eligible for the offer. If so, you’ll still have to click through the yellow “click to activate” button in order to utilize the discount. If the offer isn’t coming up for you, be sure to connect an American Express card that earns Membership Rewards to your Amazon account.
Additional promotion details are as follows:
- Save 20% off the original purchase price, up to $100 total savings.
- You must apply at least 1 Amex Membership Rewards point to the purchase
- You must use an American Express credit card to pay the balance (though you can also use Amazon gift cards to pay part of the balance).
- Promotion ends December 23, 2018, or when Amazon elects to end the promo, so don’t wait!
- Discount only applies to items sold by Amazon.com (Look for “sold by Amazon.com” or “sold by Amazon Digital Services LLC” on the product detail page). Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if “fulfilled by Amazon.com” or “Prime Eligible”.
- Promotional discount may not be redeemed for Amazon.com Gift Cards.
A few details to note:
- The system seems to default to paying for purchases with Membership Rewards once the promotion is activated, so be vigilant about updating the payment method if you don’t want to pay for up to $500 worth of purchases in MR points at a less than ideal redemption value.
- We don’t recommend spending more than one MR point toward the total, since you’ll get better redemption value for your points elsewhere. You can enter that as .01 in the points redemption field.
How to Maximize Amazon Savings
As a general rule, finding something to buy at Amazon isn’t all that difficult. But if you’re hoping to maximize your savings, definitely check out our Amazon Black Friday/Cyber Monday Shopping Guide that is being updated all week in real time.
Here are a few great deals on Amazon to stack the savings:
This latest model iPad is normally priced at $329, but is discounted right now to $249. Add on a 20% savings with this deal and your brand new iPad rings in at around $199! Should you need additional storage, the 128GB version is pricing at $379, which is $303 with the 20% discount.
The insanely popular Instant Pot usually retails for $99, but is currently going for $59.49 after clipping a coupon on the Amazon product page for an additional $8.50 off. Assuming you qualify for the 20% promotional discount as well, this would bring your total cost down to $47.59.
Should you want an even more powerful iPad, the 10.5″ Wi-Fi 64GB iPad Pro retails for $649, but is discounted to $524.99. With the additional 20% discount, you’d save a cool $220 on list price since the iPad would only cost you $424.99 plus tax.
Save 20% on Gift Cards
You can purchase most third-party gift card and enjoy a 20% discount. Think Starbucks, Whole Foods, Best Buy, Nordstrom, Airbnb, Southwest Airlines and more. If you select an immediately delivered e-gift card, you can then turn around and use those e-gift cards to pounce on Black Friday sales and deals offered by the third-party retailers.
H/T: Deals We Like
Featured image by Leon Neal/Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees