How to save 20% on LifeMiles award bookings through July 2
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Avianca’s LifeMiles program is great for booking Star Alliance award flights at low rates. Even better, it frequently offers bonuses when transferring from flexible points programs, allowing you to stretch your rewards even further. For those that have rewards with Capital One or Brex, now is one of those times.
You can normally transfer Capital One miles and Brex Rewards to Avianca LifeMiles at a 1:1 ratio. However, as part of a promotion that runs through July 2, 2021, you’ll get a 25% transfer bonus. If you end up taking advantage of this transfer promotion to book a Star Alliance award, you’ll end up saving 20% on the cost of your award ticket. Here are all the details you need to know about this promotion:
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Latest Avianca LifeMiles transfer bonus
This promotion is offered directly by LifeMiles, so the bonus won’t be reflected on Capital One or Brex’s site. You’ll see the bonus miles as a separate line item in your LifeMiles account. There is no limit to how many points you can transfer and there is no registration required.
According to LifeMiles, all miles should post within 24 hours of the transfer request. However, based on our experiences, the miles usually post much faster than that. In Capital One’s case, they post almost instantly.
Redeeming LifeMiles for maximum value
LifeMiles has several hidden gems coupled with low taxes and fees. For instance, Lufthansa first class from Chicago-O’Hare (ORD) to Frankfurt (FRA) will set you back just 87,000 LifeMiles each way. You’ll need just 69,600 Brex or Capital One miles for this award, saving you 20%.
Hereare a few other sweet spots you can book with LifeMiles:
- Short-haul domestic United flights in economy class: From 6,500 LifeMiles
- United transcontinental business class flights: 25,000 LifeMiles
- Flights to South of South America in economy: 30,000 LifeMiles
- Flights to New Zealand or Australia in economy: 40,000 LifeMiles
- Flights to Europe in business class (with no fuel surcharges): 63,000 LifeMiles
- Flights to North Asia in business class: 75,000 LifeMiles
- Flights to the Middle East in business class: 78,000 LifeMiles
- Flights to Europe in Lufthansa first (with no fuel surcharges): 87,000 LifeMiles
With the 25% bonus from this promotion, you won’t need to transfer the full amounts for your award ticket. Instead, divide the price of your award by 1.25 to calculate the “effective” number of Capital One miles. Then, round to the nearest 1,000-point increment.
For example, if you plan to book a domestic United business class award, you’ll need 25,000 LifeMiles or 20,000 miles from Brex or Capital One. That’s 20% less than the number of miles you’d need to transfer from a program like Citi ThankYou rewards.
Should you transfer points now?
We generally only recommend transferring points if you have a near-term plan to use them. Transfers are irreversible, so you don’t want to be stuck with thousands of miles in a program you have little use for.
Also, be aware that LifeMiles usually expire 12 months after the most recent mileage accrual. Other transactions, such as redemption transactions, don’t extend the validity of the miles.
If you have an immediate use for LifeMiles, transferring Brex or Capital One miles during this promotion is a no-brainer.
How to earn Capital One miles
If you’re short on Capital One miles and want to take advantage of future transfer bonuses like this one, a sign-up bonus from one of the following cards can help boost your balance.
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card: Earn 100,000 bonus miles when you spend $20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months from account opening, or still earn 50,000 miles if you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months
- Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card: Earn 20,000 miles after you use your new card to make $500 in purchases in your first three months from account opening
- Capital One Spark Miles for Business: Earn 50,000 bonus miles after spending $4,500 on purchases in the first three months of account opening
- Capital One Spark Miles Select for Business: Earn 20,000 miles after you use your new card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first three months of account opening.
Between the substantial sign-up bonus from the Capital One Venture card and this 25% LifeMiles transfer bonus, now is a great time to apply for this card.
The information for the Capital One Spark Miles Select card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured photo courtesy of Zach Griff/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees