Save on Star Alliance award flights with latest promotion from LifeMiles
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Avianca’s LifeMiles program is great for booking Star Alliance award flights at low rates. Even better, it frequently offers bonuses when transferring from flexible points programs, allowing you to stretch your rewards even further. For those that have rewards with Brex, now is one of those times.
You can normally transfer Brex Rewards to Avianca LifeMiles at a 1:1 ratio. However, as part of a promotion that runs through Aug. 8, 2021, you’ll get a 20% transfer bonus. Here are all the details you need to know about this promotion:
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Latest Avianca LifeMiles transfer bonus
There is no limit to how many points you can transfer and there is no registration required.
According to LifeMiles, all miles should post within 24 hours of the transfer request. However, based on our experiences, they usually post much faster than that.
Redeeming LifeMiles for maximum value
LifeMiles has several hidden gems coupled with low taxes and fees. For instance, Lufthansa first class from Chicago-O’Hare (ORD) to Frankfurt (FRA) will set you back just 87,000 LifeMiles each way. You’ll need to transfer just 73,000 Brex points for this award, saving you 16%.
Here are a few other sweet spots you can book with LifeMiles:
- Short-haul domestic United flights in economy class: From 6,500 LifeMiles
- United transcontinental business class flights: 25,000 LifeMiles
- Flights to South of South America in economy: 30,000 LifeMiles
- Flights to New Zealand or Australia in economy: 40,000 LifeMiles
- Flights to Europe in business class (with no fuel surcharges): 63,000 LifeMiles
- Flights to North Asia in business class: 75,000 LifeMiles
- Flights to the Middle East in business class: 78,000 LifeMiles
- Flights to Europe in Lufthansa first (with no fuel surcharges): 87,000 LifeMiles
With the 20% bonus from this promotion, you won’t need to transfer the full amounts for your award ticket. Instead, divide the price of your award by 1.2 to calculate the “effective” number of Brex Rewards. Then, round to the nearest 1,000-point increment.
For example, if you plan to book a domestic United business class award, you’ll need 25,000 LifeMiles or 21,000 points from Brex.
Should you transfer points now?
We generally only recommend transferring points if you have a near-term plan to use them. Transfers are irreversible, so you don’t want to be stuck with thousands of miles in a program you have little use for.
Also, be aware that LifeMiles usually expire 12 months after the most recent mileage accrual. Other transactions, such as redemption transactions, don’t extend the validity of the miles.
If you have an immediate use for LifeMiles, transferring Brex points during this promotion is a no-brainer.
Featured photo courtesy of Zach Honig/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees