Deal alert: Celebrate Valentine’s Day with this 2-for-1 deal from Amtrak
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. If you’re looking for the perfect getaway for two, Amtrak just rolled out the ‘Amtrak Loves You’ flash sale, with a buy one, get one deal. The offer is available on many routes nationwide and is valid for travel all the way until Aug. 27, but you must book by Feb. 16.
Here’s everything you need to know to book this deal.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Amtrak’s buy-one-get-one sale
To take advantage of this sale, make sure you book your ticket at Amtrak.com/vdaysale, or by using the discount code C214 when booking. The offer is valid for all services except Amtrak Cascades, Pennsylvanian, Keystone Service and 7000-8999 Thruways.
The discount should automatically be applied at checkout on all valid routes, although it appears that not all departures are discounted, so you may have to search a little to find the cheapest fares. We’re seeing discounts around the U.S., in cities like New York, Charlotte and Philadelphia — perfect for a romantic getaway or a vacation with family and friends.
Keep in mind, Amtrak has implemented a number of safety measures to minimize the spread of COVID-19. Additional policies include mandating masks all customers and employees, limiting bookings to allow for more physical distancing, enhanced cleanings and more. Additionally, Amtrak is waiving all change fees for reservations made by March 31, 2021.
Routes: Many routes nationwide, including on the Auto Train, Northeast Regional, Acela, Southwest Chief, Empire Builder and California Zephyr.
Cost: From $35+
Book by: Feb. 16, 2021
Travel Dates: Feb. 22 – Aug. 17, 2021
Restrictions: The companion and full fare-paying passenger must travel together on the same itinerary and have tickets issued together. Prices can’t be combined with other discount codes. Seating is limited, seats may not be available on all trains, or all times.
Other restrictions may also apply.
Pay With: Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few sample fares for two passengers:
|Between||As low as|
|Chicago, IL – Milwaukee, WI||$25|
|Oklahoma City, OK – Fort Worth, TX||$31|
|Albany, NY – New York, NY||$45|
|New York, NY – Philadelphia, PA||$46 for coach; $81 Acela|
|Philadelphia, PA – Washington, DC||$46 for coach; $92 Acela|
|New York, NY – Providence, RI||$46 for coach; $94 Acela|
|Boston, MA – New York, NY||$58 for coach; $98 Acela|
|Washington, DC – New York, NY||$74 for coach; $128 Acela|
|New York, NY – Chicago, IL||$112|
|Lorton, VA – Sanford, FL*||$115|
|Los Angeles, CA – Seattle, WA||$126|
|Charlotte, NC – New York, NY||$126|
|Washington, DC – Atlanta, GA||$132|
|Philadelphia, PA – Savannah, GA||$140|
Maximize your purchase
If you decide to take advantage of the promotion, make sure you pay for the tickets with a credit card that earns additional points on train purchases, such as the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card (3x on all travel purchases) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases).
Also, check out our ultimate guide to Amtrak Guest Rewards to learn how to earn and burn points with Amtrak’s loyalty program.
Additional reporting by Victoria M. Walker.
Featured image by Katie Genter/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees