Deal alert: Fly American first class to a reopened Hawaii from 75,000 miles roundtrip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve wanted to head to a reopened Hawaii while unloading your AAdvantage miles, now might be the time to book.
We’re currently seeing American Airlines business class award space to Hawaii starting from 75,000 AAdvantage miles roundtrip. This deal is available from various cities across the U.S. to Honolulu (HNL), Lihue (LIH), Maui (OGG) and Kona (KOA).
There’s availability for travel from now through mid-summer, but you’ll want to act quickly because there’s no telling how long it’ll be around.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
AAdvantage awards in premium cabins are notoriously difficult to book at low mileage levels, but every so often, web special deals appear below the cost of a MilesAAver award ticket. Regardless, a roundtrip MilesAAver first award from the continental U.S. to Hawaii would typically require 110,000 miles so this is potentially a significant savings.
American flies an array of different equipment to Hawaii, but several of these routes are on widebody planes — complete with direct aisle access from every business class seat, lie-flat beds and full, hot meals.
As of November 2020, change and cancellation fees on all American award tickets, including Web Specials, are waived. That’s regardless of destination or class of service. While they remain non-changeable, anyone can now redeposit them back into an AAdvantage account for free.
Airline: American Airlines
Routes: Various cities to Honolulu (HNL), Lihue (LIH), Maui (OGG) and Kona (KOA). At the time of this writing, HNL has the most availability from 75,000 miles roundtrip.
Cost: From 75,000 AAdvantage miles roundtrip in first class (some routes with lie-flat seats)
Dates: Now through mid-summer
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline; on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel) for travel protections on the award flight.
Here are a few examples of what you can book.
New York (NYC) to Honolulu (HNL) with a connection
New York (NYC) to Maui (OGG) with a connection
Los Angeles (LAX) to Lihue (LIH) nonstop
Chicago (ORD) to Kona (KOA) with a connection
Hawaii routes with lie-flat seats (May-June 2021)
|DFW||HNL||Boeing 777-200, Boeing 777-300, Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner, Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner|
|DFW||OGG||Boeing 777-200, Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner|
|ORD||HNL||Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner|
Boosting your AAdvantage balance
There are a variety of ways to boost your AAdvantage balance, so you’re ready for the next deal. One way is to sign up for an AAdvantage credit card. Some of the better offers include:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®: Earn 50,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening. Earn 2x AAdvantage miles on eligible American Airlines purchases and 1x mile elsewhere. ($450 annual fee)
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®: Earn 50,000 bonus miles after spending $2,500 on purchases in the first three months of account opening. Earn 2x AAdvantage miles on gas station, restaurant, and eligible American Airlines purchases and 1x mile elsewhere. ($99 annual fee, waived the first year)
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®: Earn 65,000 bonus miles after spending $4,000 in purchases within the first four months of account opening. ($99 annual fee, waived for the first 12 months)
The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select, CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Maximize your purchase
When paying the taxes and fees on your award ticket, be sure to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases and offers travel protection if anything goes wrong. Cards that fit the bill include The Platinum Card® from American Express, Chase Sapphire Reserve, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card.
Featured photo by Madison Blancaflor/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees