Deal alert: Fly American first class to a reopened Hawaii from 75,000 miles roundtrip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points (on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year). Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you’ve wanted to head to a reopened Hawaii while unloading your AAdvantage miles, now might be the time to book.
We’re currently seeing American Airlines business class award space to Hawaii starting from 75,000 AAdvantage miles roundtrip. This deal is available from various cities across the U.S. to Honolulu (HNL), Lihue (LIH), Maui (OGG) and Kona (KOA).
There’s availability for travel from now through mid-summer, but you’ll want to act quickly because there’s no telling how long it’ll be around.
For more TPG news and deals delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
AAdvantage awards in premium cabins are notoriously difficult to book at low mileage levels, but every so often, web special deals appear below the cost of a MilesAAver award ticket. Regardless, a roundtrip MilesAAver first award from the continental U.S. to Hawaii would typically require 110,000 miles so this is potentially a significant savings.
American flies an array of different equipment to Hawaii, but several of these routes are on widebody planes — complete with direct aisle access from every business class seat, lie-flat beds and full, hot meals.
As of November 2020, change and cancellation fees on all American award tickets, including Web Specials, are waived. That’s regardless of destination or class of service. While they remain non-changeable, anyone can now redeposit them back into an AAdvantage account for free.
Airline: American Airlines
Routes: Various cities to Honolulu (HNL), Lihue (LIH), Maui (OGG) and Kona (KOA). At the time of this writing, HNL has the most availability from 75,000 miles roundtrip.
Cost: From 75,000 AAdvantage miles roundtrip in first class (some routes with lie-flat seats)
Dates: Now through mid-summer
Pay Taxes/Fees With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline; on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year), Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on travel) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel) for travel protections on the award flight.
Here are a few examples of what you can book.
New York (NYC) to Honolulu (HNL) with a connection
New York (NYC) to Maui (OGG) with a connection
Los Angeles (LAX) to Lihue (LIH) nonstop
Chicago (ORD) to Kona (KOA) with a connection
Hawaii routes with lie-flat seats (May-June 2021)
|DFW||HNL||Boeing 777-200, Boeing 777-300, Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner, Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner|
|DFW||OGG||Boeing 777-200, Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner|
|ORD||HNL||Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner|
Boosting your AAdvantage balance
There are a variety of ways to boost your AAdvantage balance, so you’re ready for the next deal. One way is to sign up for an AAdvantage credit card. Some of the better offers include:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®: Earn 50,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening. Earn 2x AAdvantage miles on eligible American Airlines purchases and 1x mile elsewhere. ($450 annual fee)
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard®: Earn 50,000 bonus miles after spending $2,500 on purchases in the first three months of account opening. Earn 2x AAdvantage miles on gas station, restaurant, and eligible American Airlines purchases and 1x mile elsewhere. ($99 annual fee, waived the first year)
- CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®: Earn 65,000 bonus miles after spending $4,000 in purchases within the first four months of account opening. ($99 annual fee, waived for the first 12 months)
The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select, CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Maximize your purchase
When paying the taxes and fees on your award ticket, be sure to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases and offers travel protection if anything goes wrong. Cards that fit the bill include The Platinum Card® from American Express, Chase Sapphire Reserve, or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card.
Featured photo by Madison Blancaflor/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.