Surf’s up! Alaska flights to Hawaii as low as $260 round-trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Alaska Airlines is partnering with surf forecasting site Surfline to offer some “swell” deals to and from Hawaii. The airline will discount up to 30% off flights to and from Hawaii based on the height of forecasted waves around the islands. If you don’t find yourself near a beach often, I’ll make it simpler: The bigger the wave, the bigger the discount.
The sale is valid from Nov. 4 to 8, for travel through Nov. 20. Alaska will discount fares based on the following max swell heights tracked by Surfline:
- ≤10 foot swells: 10% off
- 11-15 foot swells: 15% off
- 16-20 foot swells: 20% off
- 21+ foot swells: 30% off
The discount will change daily at approximately noon and 5 p.m. PST as Alaska gets the latest forecast information from Surfline.
Note that some of the tickets are “Saver Fares” or Alaska’s basic economy. With a Saver Fare, no changes (including same-day changes) and no standing by for earlier or later flights are allowed — regardless of your status level. Elites won’t be eligible for complimentary upgrades, but they’ll still get early boarding and two free checked bags. Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® credit card holders also get one checked bag for free. It appears the best deals originate from the West Coast.
To book, enter your departure city and your destination. Remember, at least of one these must be Lihue (LIH), Kona (KOA), Maui (OGG), or Honolulu (HNL). Then add departure and return dates between Nov. 4 and Nov. 20, 2019, and select the number of travelers. Finally, make sure that the discount code SURFLINE15 appears in the discount code field, and then click “Find flights.”
Routes: Major routes served by Alaska
Cost: $260+ round-trip in economy
Dates: November – December 2019
Pay With: The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on airfare booked directly with the airline), Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare), Citi Premier® Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x on airfare), American Express® Gold Card (3x on airfare when booked directly with the airline) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Maui (OGG) for $260 round-trip nonstop:
Oakland (OAK) to Maui (OGG) for $277 round-trip nonstop:
Oakland (OAK) to Honolulu (HNL) for $277 round-trip nonstop:
Portland (PDX) to Honolulu (HNL) for $332 round-trip nonstop:
Seattle (SEA) to Honolulu (HNL) for $379 round-trip nonstop:
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
Featured photo by Andre Distel Photography/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees