Researchers Say Window Seats Are Best for Avoiding the Flu
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The research is in, and if you want to avoid getting sick on a plane, you should choose the window seat.
According to a new study released Monday from Emory University, the best thing to do if you don’t want to catch a bug on a flight is to “get in that window seat and don’t move,” Vicki Stover Hertzberg, the study’s lead researcher, says.
To gather the data, teams of researchers flew all over the US and tested the air and surfaces in the flight cabin to identify hotspots for germs and viruses. The results found that the 11 people most at risk for getting sick were those sat immediately around an infected passenger (the two people to the left, the two to the right and the people in the rows directly in front and behind).
The research team also found that 80% of people sitting on the aisle got up during their flight, while 62% of people in a middle seat got up and only 43% in window seats did.
Some critics of the study, which was funded by Boeing Co., say the small sample group makes it difficult to apply to results to all flights and airplanes, especially when considering other illnesses commonly spread through travel like measles and tuberculosis.
Regardless, this is one of the first studies examining passenger interactions and germs in-flight, and if you are extra cautious about not catching the cold or the flu, opt for that window seat.
H/T: The Associated Press
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.