Researchers Say Window Seats Are Best for Avoiding the Flu
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The research is in, and if you want to avoid getting sick on a plane, you should choose the window seat.
According to a new study released Monday from Emory University, the best thing to do if you don’t want to catch a bug on a flight is to “get in that window seat and don’t move,” Vicki Stover Hertzberg, the study’s lead researcher, says.
To gather the data, teams of researchers flew all over the US and tested the air and surfaces in the flight cabin to identify hotspots for germs and viruses. The results found that the 11 people most at risk for getting sick were those sat immediately around an infected passenger (the two people to the left, the two to the right and the people in the rows directly in front and behind).
The research team also found that 80% of people sitting on the aisle got up during their flight, while 62% of people in a middle seat got up and only 43% in window seats did.
Some critics of the study, which was funded by Boeing Co., say the small sample group makes it difficult to apply to results to all flights and airplanes, especially when considering other illnesses commonly spread through travel like measles and tuberculosis.
Regardless, this is one of the first studies examining passenger interactions and germs in-flight, and if you are extra cautious about not catching the cold or the flu, opt for that window seat.
H/T: The Associated Press
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees