Boeing 737 Breaks Its Own Record as 10,000th Aircraft Rolls Off Assembly Line
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The 737, Boeing’s short- to medium-haul workhorse, broke another record today, as the aircraft manufacturer rolled out its 10,000th aircraft of the type.
The 10,000th 737 just rolled off the assembly line and we are in awe. Thank you to our many customers! We love building 737s for you with excellence, pride and passion. #Boeing #avgeek pic.twitter.com/wIEgZiT4nb
— Boeing Airplanes (@BoeingAirplanes) March 7, 2018
The rollout is quite the accomplishment for Boeing, particularly its engineering and design teams that have molded the 737 across more than 10 different versions, over the span of some 50 years. Over the decades, Boeing has revisited, revamped and re-energized the 737 program, introducing better fuel economics, state-of-the-art cockpit avionics and a (mostly) improved passenger experience.
The lucky 10,000th plane? A 737 MAX 8 destined for Southwest, a fitting customer for this achievement. Southwest, founded in 1967 (the same year the original 737-100 flew its first flight), operates the largest fleet of 737s of any carrier in the world. In fact, the airline has never purchased any other aircraft besides this trusty narrow-body. Southwest was even the launch customer of the 737NG — Boeing’s 1993 revamp of the 737 program, when it introduced the 737-600/700/800/900 types, complete with glass cockpits and modernized onboard equipment (like digital screens instead of analog indicators). Since taking delivery of its first 737 MAX last year, Southwest has more than a dozen in its fleet and plans to use the type on its highly anticipated routes to Hawaii.
It’s no easy feat getting to 10,000 aircraft. Boeing’s dedicated 737 facility in Renton, Washington, pumps out some 47-52 jets per month, and the aerospace giant hopes to increase that number to more than 60 jets monthly in the next two years.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees