This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United is back with a new award sale, this time to Hawaii. You can fly the carrier from as little as 36,000 United miles round-trip from the mainland US to the Hawaiian Islands.
Right now, the sale is only open to United premier members and United MileagePlus Explorer Credit Card holders. It opens to everyone else Wednesday (March 14). You’ll have to act fast because tickets need to be booked by March 14 at 11:59pm CT.
Marked down award flights are available from April 8 through May 20, and you’ll have to book a round-trip itinerary to qualify for the discount. Even better, there are no blackout dates so you’ll be able to grab a discounted ticket on any of the days — pending you can find availability (which we didn’t have a problem with in any of our searches).
Flights from the mainland US to Hawaii typically cost 22,500 miles one-way or 45,000 miles round-trip in economy. With the sale, you’ll pay 36,000 miles plus $11.20 in taxes for the round-trip economy flight. Only economy seats are on sale, so you won’t be able to save on business or first class.
We are seeing great availability (probably because I’m a United cardholder, which opens up expanded saver award space), even on nonstops from Newark (EWR) to Honolulu (HNL) — that’s a 10 hour flight, which is currently selling for $892 round-trip.
On that flight, you’re getting about 2.5 cents per mile in value, which is a whole lot higher then the TPG valuations of 1.4 cents.
Here are a few other examples of what you can book:
Washington DC (IAD) to Honolulu (HNL):
Los Angles (LAX) to Kahului, Maui (OGG):
Chicago (ORD) to Lihue, Kauai (LIH):
While you won’t have the miles before the sale is over, the United MileagePlus Explorer Credit Card is currently offering a 40,000-mile signup bonus after spending $2,000 in the first three months.
You can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points into your United account, too. Both the Chase Sapphire Reserve and the Chase Sapphire Preferred are offering a 50,000-point signup bonus after spending $4,000 in the first three months.
H/T: Live and Let’s Fly
Featured image by JTB Photo/UIG via Getty Images.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees