This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available – United MileagePlus Explorer Card
United is back with a new award sale, this time to Hawaii. You can fly the carrier from as little as 36,000 United miles round-trip from the mainland US to the Hawaiian Islands.
Right now, the sale is only open to United premier members and United MileagePlus Explorer Credit Card holders. It opens to everyone else Wednesday (March 14). You’ll have to act fast because tickets need to be booked by March 14 at 11:59pm CT.
Marked down award flights are available from April 8 through May 20, and you’ll have to book a round-trip itinerary to qualify for the discount. Even better, there are no blackout dates so you’ll be able to grab a discounted ticket on any of the days — pending you can find availability (which we didn’t have a problem with in any of our searches).
Flights from the mainland US to Hawaii typically cost 22,500 miles one-way or 45,000 miles round-trip in economy. With the sale, you’ll pay 36,000 miles plus $11.20 in taxes for the round-trip economy flight. Only economy seats are on sale, so you won’t be able to save on business or first class.
We are seeing great availability (probably because I’m a United cardholder, which opens up expanded saver award space), even on nonstops from Newark (EWR) to Honolulu (HNL) — that’s a 10 hour flight, which is currently selling for $892 round-trip.
On that flight, you’re getting about 2.5 cents per mile in value, which is a whole lot higher then the TPG valuations of 1.4 cents.
Here are a few other examples of what you can book:
Washington DC (IAD) to Honolulu (HNL):
Los Angles (LAX) to Kahului, Maui (OGG):
Chicago (ORD) to Lihue, Kauai (LIH):
While you won’t have the miles before the sale is over, the United MileagePlus Explorer Credit Card is currently offering a 40,000-mile signup bonus after spending $2,000 in the first three months.
You can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points into your United account, too. Both the Chase Sapphire Reserve and the Chase Sapphire Preferred are offering a 50,000-point signup bonus after spending $4,000 in the first three months.
H/T: Live and Let’s Fly
Featured image by JTB Photo/UIG via Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards