This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United is offering a sale on award flights on select international routes. Right now you can receive 20% off saver economy awards when flying from the continental US or Alaska (sorry, Hawaii residents) to the following destinations:
- Porto, Portugal (OPO) for 48,000 miles + taxes and fees from $75 round-trip
- Reykjavik, Iceland (KEF) for 48,000 miles + taxes and fees from $60 round-trip
- Singapore (SIN) for 64,000 award miles + taxes and fees from $55 round-trip
- Sydney, Australia (SYD) for 64,000 award miles + taxes and fees from $125 round-trip
You’ll have book your flight by March 2, and it must be a round-trip itinerary to qualify for the discount. If you’re traveling to Porto, Sydney or Singapore you’ll get the discount on flights between May 4 and June 17. If you’re headed to Iceland you can fly between May 23 and June 17. All flights are on United metal — so no travel on any Star Alliance partners.
If you don’t have enough miles in your United MileagePlus account, remember that you can transfer them instantly from Chase Ultimate Rewards at a 1:1 ratio. The Chase Sapphire Reserve or Chase Sapphire Preferred are both offering 50,000 point sign-up bonuses after spending $4,000 in the first three months of account opening which could easily get you a round-trip flight to the two European destinations during this sale. The United MileagePlus Explorer Card is also offering a 50,000-mile bonus after spending $3,000 in the first three months.
The deals are pretty solid, especially considering the travel dates are during the peak summer travel season, which is when cash prices are very high. Take an itinerary from Newark (EWR) to Sydney, which is currently currently going for about $2,200 in United economy. If you book during this sale for 64,000 miles and $125 round-trip, you’ll get around 3.2 cents per mile on this flight (accounting for taxes and fees) — much higher than the 1.4-cent-valuation we give to each United mile.
Or, check out this flight from Los Angeles (LAX) to Porto, currently selling for $1,729 in United Economy in May vs. 48,000 miles and $59. That’s about 3.5 cents per mile when taking the taxes and fees into account — also a great deal.
Make sure to book soon as possible, since saver availability go away quickly with this sale.
Featured image by Africanpix / Getty Images.
This card is currently offering a sign-up bonus of 40,000 after spending $2,000 within the first three months. TPG values United miles at 1.4 cents apiece, so this 40,000-mile sign-up bonus gets you $560 in value.
- 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open
- $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Check your first bag for free (a savings of up to $100 per roundtrip) when you use your Card to purchase your ticket
- Enjoy priority boarding privileges and visit the United Club℠ with 2 one-time passes each year for your anniversary
- No foreign transaction fees
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United, and 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Your miles don't expire as long as your credit card account is open, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn