This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today Uber unveiled a new component to its app that will help people get to and from doctors’ appointments. Uber Health is the newest addition to the ride-sharing app — Uber hopes that the new feature will help those with transportation barriers overcome issues involving getting proper medical attention. The new feature does not require patients who participate to have the app, or even a smartphone.
Uber is teaming up with healthcare organizations around the country to provide accessible transportation for patients who have trouble getting to doctors’ appointments. Participants only need to have access to a phone (including non-smartphones), which opens up Uber to customers who wouldn’t have been able to participate previously. Rides can be scheduled for patients directly through doctors’ offices — they can be booked for immediate pickup or up to 30 days in advance.
Passengers who ride with Uber Health will receive an SMS text message when their ride arrives. The company has plans to introduce an option for participants to receive a call via a landline, too. Uber drivers will continue to use the Uber app to pickup Uber Health passengers. Drivers will not be able to see any medical information, and the new feature is compliant with federal HIPAA laws — like a typical Uber ride, only passengers names, pickup and drop-off locations will be provided to the driver.
Access to transportation is a problem for millions of people around the country. About 3.6 million Americans delay treatment or miss medical appointments every year due to lack of transportation, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.
Uber Health has been used by 100 health care organizations prior to its release. The service will gradually roll out to healthcare providers around the country.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards