Uber Launches New Service to Get You to the Doctor
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today Uber unveiled a new component to its app that will help people get to and from doctors’ appointments. Uber Health is the newest addition to the ride-sharing app — Uber hopes that the new feature will help those with transportation barriers overcome issues involving getting proper medical attention. The new feature does not require patients who participate to have the app, or even a smartphone.
Uber is teaming up with healthcare organizations around the country to provide accessible transportation for patients who have trouble getting to doctors’ appointments. Participants only need to have access to a phone (including non-smartphones), which opens up Uber to customers who wouldn’t have been able to participate previously. Rides can be scheduled for patients directly through doctors’ offices — they can be booked for immediate pickup or up to 30 days in advance.
Passengers who ride with Uber Health will receive an SMS text message when their ride arrives. The company has plans to introduce an option for participants to receive a call via a landline, too. Uber drivers will continue to use the Uber app to pickup Uber Health passengers. Drivers will not be able to see any medical information, and the new feature is compliant with federal HIPAA laws — like a typical Uber ride, only passengers names, pickup and drop-off locations will be provided to the driver.
Access to transportation is a problem for millions of people around the country. About 3.6 million Americans delay treatment or miss medical appointments every year due to lack of transportation, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.
Uber Health has been used by 100 health care organizations prior to its release. The service will gradually roll out to healthcare providers around the country.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees