Overwater Cabanas Coming Soon to Royal Caribbean’s Private Island
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Nothing screams “aspirational vacation” like an overwater villa. Despite the current political climate, the Maldives remains my go-to — the new St. Regis in particular — but this high-end trend recently made its Caribbean debut, and now an expansion of sorts is underway at Royal Caribbean’s private island known as CocoCay.
The cruise giant introduced its new Overwater Cabanas at an event at New York City’s South Street Seaport on Wednesday night.
Royal Caribbean’s first overwater cabanas will roll out at the new Coco Beach Club in the Bahamas by November 2019.
The highlight for me is the integrated hammock — it looks similar to those at the St. Regis Maldives’ overwater villas.
Unlike other overwater accommodations, these cabanas are designed for day use only — you’ll spend the night back on the ship — so lounging is limited to the sofa, chairs and hammock.
There’s also a slide — it looks arguably more impressive in the renderings than the mock-up on display at this week’s Seaport event.
In addition to launching new ships, like the gargantuan Symphony of the Seas, Royal Caribbean is investing $900 million in its existing fleet, updating 10 ships over the next four years, including Oasis and Allure of the Seas. Improvements including new pools and waterpark features, refreshed restaurants and a virtual-reality trampoline experience called Sky Pad. Sounds fun!
As for the overwater cabanas themselves, Royal Caribbean hints at an expansion far beyond the Bahamas, with possible locations in Asia, Australia and more. I think pricing will significantly impact the program’s success, and it isn’t yet clear what kind of fee you’d be looking at to rent one of these. It certainly can’t be pricier than the thousands of dollars per night you’d need for comparable overnight retreats, though.
Looking for a high-end experience on the cheap? Check out 6 Ways to Use Points and Miles on a Cruise Vacation for redemption tips and more.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees