This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s a new(ish) premium-cabin trend, and Emirates is leading the way: in-seat mini-bars. In business class, you’re giving up precious storage space in favor of an at-your-seat beverage compartment, complete with pop-out door.
But unlike the mini-bar you’d find in a hotel room, this one is not refrigerated — the drinks you’re pulling out are room temperature at best. Flight attendants will bring you the chilled beverage of your choice at a moment’s notice, so, really, what’s the point of having warm juices and sodas at every seat?
Several people make a valid point: while Americans generally prefer cold beverages, room temp may be more the norm elsewhere in the world. Still, the opinion overall is that these little drink cubbies are just for show, and I tend to agree — if you have an opinion of your own, please share your thoughts in the comments below.
It’s not just Emirates’ new Boeing 777-200LR that sports the amenity, either — it’s also available on the new 777-300ER, along with biz on the Airbus A380. Emirates’ first-class suites have the mini-bars, too, and they’ve even been expanded on the latest version. It’s less of a concern in that cabin, though — while the biz seats would definitely benefit from more storage, there are several other sizable compartments to choose from in first.
While the vast majority of airlines prefer to offer drinks exclusively via the crew — with the exception of a small water bottle — Kuwait Airways decided to follow Emirates’ lead as well, with a mini-bar of its own on the 777-300ER.
TPG managing editor Alberto Riva recently flew Kuwait’s first class, and found still water, Perrier and soda in his pop-out bar, along with a small package of mixed nuts.
It’s no surprise that the mini-bar never made an appearance in my list of 7 Favorite Things About Emirates’ Incredible New First-Class Suite. I’m inclined to think that less is more — we can do without the mini-bars, thank you very much.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*