Really Though, What’s the Deal With These In-Seat Mini-Bars?
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s a new(ish) premium-cabin trend, and Emirates is leading the way: in-seat mini-bars. In business class, you’re giving up precious storage space in favor of an at-your-seat beverage compartment, complete with pop-out door.
But unlike the mini-bar you’d find in a hotel room, this one is not refrigerated — the drinks you’re pulling out are room temperature at best. Flight attendants will bring you the chilled beverage of your choice at a moment’s notice, so, really, what’s the point of having warm juices and sodas at every seat?
Several people make a valid point: while Americans generally prefer cold beverages, room temp may be more the norm elsewhere in the world. Still, the opinion overall is that these little drink cubbies are just for show, and I tend to agree — if you have an opinion of your own, please share your thoughts in the comments below.
It’s not just Emirates’ new Boeing 777-200LR that sports the amenity, either — it’s also available on the new 777-300ER, along with biz on the Airbus A380. Emirates’ first-class suites have the mini-bars, too, and they’ve even been expanded on the latest version. It’s less of a concern in that cabin, though — while the biz seats would definitely benefit from more storage, there are several other sizable compartments to choose from in first.
While the vast majority of airlines prefer to offer drinks exclusively via the crew — with the exception of a small water bottle — Kuwait Airways decided to follow Emirates’ lead as well, with a mini-bar of its own on the 777-300ER.
TPG managing editor Alberto Riva recently flew Kuwait’s first class, and found still water, Perrier and soda in his pop-out bar, along with a small package of mixed nuts.
It’s no surprise that the mini-bar never made an appearance in my list of 7 Favorite Things About Emirates’ Incredible New First-Class Suite. I’m inclined to think that less is more — we can do without the mini-bars, thank you very much.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees