Drink and Jam at One of Ireland’s Oldest Pubs, The Brazen Head
How would you like to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day (or any day, for that matter) by having a pint of beer at an 800-year-old pub? If that sounds like something you’d enjoy, head straight to one of Ireland’s oldest pubs, the Brazen Head. Located in Dublin and established in 1198, and you can can drink the night away while you rock out to live bands seven nights a week, or even listen to some Irish storytelling.
The most popular music session by far is Sunday afternoon, which goes from 3:30pm to 6:30pm. Bands like Rafferty, Roots’N’Rye, Straight From The Crate and The Brazen Hussies play, and, if you dare, you can even grab a mic and sing along! The pub is known for its fun and happy atmosphere, where patrons are singing, smiling and drinking long into the night.
It’s not just about the Guinness at The Brazen Head, though. The food’s pretty great, too. You can sample popular specialties like hearty Irish stew, fish and chips and steamed mussels.
Getting to Dublin isn’t complicated at all, especially because it’s under a seven-hour flight from East Coast hubs. Ireland’s flag carrier, Aer Lingus, flies nonstop from cities like Boston (BOS), New York (JFK), San Francisco (SFO), Chicago (ORD) and Miami (MIA), among others. The airline also flies between Shannon (SNN) to Boston and New York (JFK). Delta flies nonstop from New York (JFK) and Atlanta (ATL), and United will get you there nonstop from Newark (EWR). American goes from Philadelphia (PHL) and seasonally from Charlotte (CLT). Norwegian flies nonstop from Providence (PVD). Those on a budget can fly WOW Air from a number of different US hubs with a brief layover in Reykjavik (KEF).
Featured photo of The Brazen Head in Merchants Quay in Dublin, Republic of Ireland. (Photo by Sam Mellish / In Pictures via Getty Images)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.