Two Airlines Made the List of the 20 Most-Hated Companies in America
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Of the 20 most-hated companies in America, a full 10% are airlines that tens of thousands of passengers fly every day. The distinction goes to United Airlines and Spirit Airlines, which made the list of the most-disliked companies in the country.
According to a recent report by 24/7 Wall St., the 20 most-hated companies in America range in industries from social media giants to publishers, and yes, airlines. The report looked at a range of information, from major news events to customer survey results from the American Customer Satisfaction Index, employee reviews on Glassdoor and its own customer satisfaction survey.
Here’s the full list, with No. 1 being the most disliked [bold added for emphasis]:
20. The Weinstein Company
19. United Airlines
13. Sears Holdings
12. The Trump Organization
11. Wells Fargo
9. Spirit Airlines
8. Vice Media
6. Foxconn Technology Group
5. Electronic Arts
4. University of Phoenix
2. Fox Entertainment Group
The report attributed United’s unfavorable ranking to the Bumpgate incident in 2017. As for Spirit, which was ranked as being even more disliked, the report attributed that to its low-cost fare model, which generally makes for poor customer service.
The other member of the list in the travel / transportation industry is Uber, the ride-hailing giant. After a number of bad news stories came to light in 2017, the company’s co-founder and CEO Travis Kalanick stepped down, Uber has struggled to regain its image.
Credit rating agency Equifax was the most-hated company in America — a not-unexpected consequence of the massive hack in 2017 that resulted in extremely sensitive data being compromised for 143 million Americans.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees