Tip: Ask to Check Your Luggage All the Way to Your Final Destination
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On a recent trip to Australia I found myself booked on an insane routing home that took a total of more than 58 hours. I was booked on two separate tickets on two airlines that I had thought had no relationship at all. My routing took me from Melbourne (MEL) — Bangkok (BKK) — Ho Chi Minh (SGN) on Thai Airways with a 10-hour layover, connecting to Qatar Airways for flights from Ho Chi Minh (SGN) — Doha (DOH) — New York (JFK). It wasn’t an ideal way home, but with business class and mostly lie-flat seats it didn’t feel as long as it was. What made it even better was that I didn’t have to worry about my bag for all of those 58 hours.
When I arrived at MEL, my first stop was the Qatar check-in desk. I asked the agent for my connecting boarding passes from Ho Chi Minh. Unfortunately, Qatar was unable to issue the boarding passes but the agent did suggest I ask Thai to check my baggage all the way through to JFK, as the two airlines have a baggage service agreement. An agent at the Thai Airways check-in counter made a few phone calls and verified the baggage services agreement. The agent then checked my onward connections and issued luggage tags that read BKK-SGN-DOH-JFK. Finally, the Thai agent issued me my boarding cards for my Thai flights. Again to her surprise and mine a boarding card for my flight from SGN-DOH, a Qatar Airways flight, printed from her machine as well on the Thai card stock. When I arrived at JFK 58 hours later, my bag was waiting for me.
How can you tell if the airlines you’re flying have a baggage service agreement or any additional agreements? It takes a bit of research. If you’re flying with airlines within the same alliance, they’ll likely have service agreements. But if you’re traveling between two alliances like I was, your best bet is just to ask at check in or call ahead — the worst that can happen is that there’s no such agreement. As TPG always says, it never hurts to ask.
Featured image by izusek/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees