The World’s Largest Naturally Frozen Ice Rink Keeps Melting
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Rideau Canal Skateway, a UNESCO World Heritage site and the Guinness Book of World Record‘s largest naturally freezing ice rink in the world, has had some problems this year fulfilling its frozen requirement.
The canal-turned-rink in Ontario, Canada, was originally constructed as a slack-water canal for the military. Today, it is used for recreational ice-skating. The rink is made up of sections of the Rideau and Cataraqui rivers; it flows south from Ottawa to Lake Ontario and the site got a protected status in 2007.
Historically, the canal freezes over beginning in late December or early January and lasts through late February or early March each year. Once the 4.8 mile canal freezes over, it becomes Ontario’s premier — and free — winter destination. Freezing over is no easy feat either; the entire canal is equivalent to 90 Olympic-sized hockey rinks and usually has about 20,000 people skating on it on any given day.
For the canal to freeze over and transform into a skating rink, it takes 10 consecutive nights of temperatures below 14 degrees Fahrenheit. However, the weather this past December did not cooperate, and it was not cold enough to create solid ice. The rink officially opened on January 5, 2018, but closed several times during January due to adverse conditions that affected the ice. The rink reopened February 6, but at this point, its season will be significantly less than years prior.
Typically, the rink stays open about 50 days during a normal year. The past two years before the current season experienced less than 35 days where the rink was skate-able. If the trend of warmer winters continues, ice-skating on this record-breaking UNESCO site may cease altogether.
H/T: National Geographic
Featured image by Perry McKenna via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees