This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Rideau Canal Skateway, a UNESCO World Heritage site and the Guinness Book of World Record‘s largest naturally freezing ice rink in the world, has had some problems this year fulfilling its frozen requirement.
The canal-turned-rink in Ontario, Canada, was originally constructed as a slack-water canal for the military. Today, it is used for recreational ice-skating. The rink is made up of sections of the Rideau and Cataraqui rivers; it flows south from Ottawa to Lake Ontario and the site got a protected status in 2007.
Historically, the canal freezes over beginning in late December or early January and lasts through late February or early March each year. Once the 4.8 mile canal freezes over, it becomes Ontario’s premier — and free — winter destination. Freezing over is no easy feat either; the entire canal is equivalent to 90 Olympic-sized hockey rinks and usually has about 20,000 people skating on it on any given day.
For the canal to freeze over and transform into a skating rink, it takes 10 consecutive nights of temperatures below 14 degrees Fahrenheit. However, the weather this past December did not cooperate, and it was not cold enough to create solid ice. The rink officially opened on January 5, 2018, but closed several times during January due to adverse conditions that affected the ice. The rink reopened February 6, but at this point, its season will be significantly less than years prior.
Typically, the rink stays open about 50 days during a normal year. The past two years before the current season experienced less than 35 days where the rink was skate-able. If the trend of warmer winters continues, ice-skating on this record-breaking UNESCO site may cease altogether.
H/T: National Geographic
Featured image by Perry McKenna via Getty Images.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees