Newark Airport’s New $2.7 Billion Terminal Will Ease Passenger Woes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Newark Liberty International Airport, (EWR), one of the busiest international airports in the country, is currently renovating its oldest terminal, Terminal A, and turning it into a one-million-square-foot, state-of-the-art passenger terminal. The project, which is calling the updated terminal ‘Terminal One,’ broke ground in June 2017, and hopes to have a partial opening by 2021. Officials expect Terminal One to be fully operational by 2022.
The new development will cost $2.7 billion, and officials hope that the new construction will reduce passenger congestion. Terminal One will not only update the technology at the 45-year-old airport, but it also includes the addition of 33 gates, a new 3,000-car parking garage, new roadways, a pedestrian bridge and new dining and retail spaces.
Last week, additional funding of $1.41 billion was approved by Commissioners for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey — both operate the airport in conjunction. Port Authority officials also chose the crews that will design and construct Terminal One: Tutor Perini Corporation and Parsons Transportation Group Inc.
Last year, Newark Airport hosted more than 40 million travelers. In 2016, 10.6 million passengers traveled through Terminal A alone. Port Authority Chairman Kevin O’Toole said that Terminal A can no longer accommodate growing traveler needs, according to NJ.com.
Newark isn’t the only airport getting a multi-billion dollar renovation — Chicago O’Hare is currently finalizing plans to expand the city’s biggest airport in a deal that will cost more than $8 billion.
Newark’s new terminal is expected to create more than 23,000 jobs, $4.6 billion in economic activity and $1.9 billion in wages in the New Jersey area.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees