Newark Airport’s New $2.7 Billion Terminal Will Ease Passenger Woes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Newark Liberty International Airport, (EWR), one of the busiest international airports in the country, is currently renovating its oldest terminal, Terminal A, and turning it into a one-million-square-foot, state-of-the-art passenger terminal. The project, which is calling the updated terminal ‘Terminal One,’ broke ground in June 2017, and hopes to have a partial opening by 2021. Officials expect Terminal One to be fully operational by 2022.
The new development will cost $2.7 billion, and officials hope that the new construction will reduce passenger congestion. Terminal One will not only update the technology at the 45-year-old airport, but it also includes the addition of 33 gates, a new 3,000-car parking garage, new roadways, a pedestrian bridge and new dining and retail spaces.
Last week, additional funding of $1.41 billion was approved by Commissioners for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey — both operate the airport in conjunction. Port Authority officials also chose the crews that will design and construct Terminal One: Tutor Perini Corporation and Parsons Transportation Group Inc.
Last year, Newark Airport hosted more than 40 million travelers. In 2016, 10.6 million passengers traveled through Terminal A alone. Port Authority Chairman Kevin O’Toole said that Terminal A can no longer accommodate growing traveler needs, according to NJ.com.
Newark isn’t the only airport getting a multi-billion dollar renovation — Chicago O’Hare is currently finalizing plans to expand the city’s biggest airport in a deal that will cost more than $8 billion.
Newark’s new terminal is expected to create more than 23,000 jobs, $4.6 billion in economic activity and $1.9 billion in wages in the New Jersey area.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.