This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Newark Liberty International Airport, (EWR), one of the busiest international airports in the country, is currently renovating its oldest terminal, Terminal A, and turning it into a one-million-square-foot, state-of-the-art passenger terminal. The project, which is calling the updated terminal ‘Terminal One,’ broke ground in June 2017, and hopes to have a partial opening by 2021. Officials expect Terminal One to be fully operational by 2022.
The new development will cost $2.7 billion, and officials hope that the new construction will reduce passenger congestion. Terminal One will not only update the technology at the 45-year-old airport, but it also includes the addition of 33 gates, a new 3,000-car parking garage, new roadways, a pedestrian bridge and new dining and retail spaces.
Last week, additional funding of $1.41 billion was approved by Commissioners for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey — both operate the airport in conjunction. Port Authority officials also chose the crews that will design and construct Terminal One: Tutor Perini Corporation and Parsons Transportation Group Inc.
Last year, Newark Airport hosted more than 40 million travelers. In 2016, 10.6 million passengers traveled through Terminal A alone. Port Authority Chairman Kevin O’Toole said that Terminal A can no longer accommodate growing traveler needs, according to NJ.com.
Newark isn’t the only airport getting a multi-billion dollar renovation — Chicago O’Hare is currently finalizing plans to expand the city’s biggest airport in a deal that will cost more than $8 billion.
Newark’s new terminal is expected to create more than 23,000 jobs, $4.6 billion in economic activity and $1.9 billion in wages in the New Jersey area.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*