Does the Bag Fit? United Agent and Passenger Fight Over Carry-On
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Another day, another airport drama gone viral. This time, an Instagram video shows a mother-daughter duo arguing with multiple United Airlines agents over the size of a personal or carry-on item. While it doesn’t explicitly state whether the duo had been on board beforehand, the video shows the daughter placing her mother’s purse into the space that determines if an item is too large to carry on board. The passengers were traveling from Chicago O’Hare (ORD) to New Jersey, according to the video.
While the bag seems to require some light maneuvering to fit into the space, it still fits in the allotted space. The agents go through their list of rules and regulations — one carry-on per person, size requirements, etc. — the mother and daughter appear to be in compliance with every rule. One minute into the video, the agent shows his badge to the camera and assures the passengers that the bag does not fit.
Moments after the original agent flashed his badge, another agent walks up and attempts to remedy the situation. After he investigates and sees that the bag fits in the space, albeit tightly, he says “that’s fine,” and the video ends.
In the age of cell phone videos, passengers are quick to turn to hitting record as soon as an argument gets heated. This, of course, is not the first time United has had the spotlight on them for conflicts between passengers and crew.
On the United website, it states its rules and regulations regarding carry-on and checked baggage. For a personal item to be allowed onboard, it must fall within the required 9″x10″x17″ size.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees