This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Another day, another airport drama gone viral. This time, an Instagram video shows a mother-daughter duo arguing with multiple United Airlines agents over the size of a personal or carry-on item. While it doesn’t explicitly state whether the duo had been on board beforehand, the video shows the daughter placing her mother’s purse into the space that determines if an item is too large to carry on board. The passengers were traveling from Chicago O’Hare (ORD) to New Jersey, according to the video.
While the bag seems to require some light maneuvering to fit into the space, it still fits in the allotted space. The agents go through their list of rules and regulations — one carry-on per person, size requirements, etc. — the mother and daughter appear to be in compliance with every rule. One minute into the video, the agent shows his badge to the camera and assures the passengers that the bag does not fit.
Moments after the original agent flashed his badge, another agent walks up and attempts to remedy the situation. After he investigates and sees that the bag fits in the space, albeit tightly, he says “that’s fine,” and the video ends.
In the age of cell phone videos, passengers are quick to turn to hitting record as soon as an argument gets heated. This, of course, is not the first time United has had the spotlight on them for conflicts between passengers and crew.
On the United website, it states its rules and regulations regarding carry-on and checked baggage. For a personal item to be allowed onboard, it must fall within the required 9″x10″x17″ size.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees