Alaska Celebrates its New Planes with Another Special Livery
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Another day, another special livery.
Alaska Airlines has been repainting its entire fleet, both its own sizable Boeing 737 fleet and the nearly 70 Airbus A320 and A321s it acquired from Virgin America following the merger. In late January, it unveiled the first Airbus ever to be painted in Alaska Airlines colors — one of Virgin’s older A320s, after Virgin America officially ceased independent operations. On Friday, Alaska revealed yet another livery, this time on a brand spanking A321neo — the latest version of the European twinjet.
Alaska already has 4 A321neos in operation, still painted in Virgin America colors, and is expected to take delivery of more of them by the end of this year, all from Virgin America’s original order, which it kept after it bought the airline.
The aircraft promises better fuel economics and passenger comfort than its Airbus narrow-body predecessors. More likely than not, besides another aircraft or two, the remainder of the planes on order (and those already in the fleet) will be repainted in standard Alaska Airlines colors, instead of this sleek Virgin-Alaska mix. Fleet revitalization won’t be stopping here, either. The Seattle-based airline also has 17 Boeing 737 MAX 9s on order, Boeing’s most direct competition to the A321, the airplane depicted above. By the way, Alaska took TPG‘s top spot for best loyalty program.
And if this paint job feels a bit like déjà vu, you aren’t mistaken. Back in December 2016, Alaska painted one of its 737-900s in this same special livery as a part of its merger announcement with Virgin America. It’s still up for debate who’s wearing it better. See here for more images of this special A321neo.
Oh, and the missing engines? Don’t worry, those will be added soon.
Featured photo courtesy of Alaska Airlines
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees