Alaska Celebrates its New Planes with Another Special Livery
Another day, another special livery.
Alaska Airlines has been repainting its entire fleet, both its own sizable Boeing 737 fleet and the nearly 70 Airbus A320 and A321s it acquired from Virgin America following the merger. In late January, it unveiled the first Airbus ever to be painted in Alaska Airlines colors — one of Virgin’s older A320s, after Virgin America officially ceased independent operations. On Friday, Alaska revealed yet another livery, this time on a brand spanking A321neo — the latest version of the European twinjet.
Alaska already has 4 A321neos in operation, still painted in Virgin America colors, and is expected to take delivery of more of them by the end of this year, all from Virgin America’s original order, which it kept after it bought the airline.
The aircraft promises better fuel economics and passenger comfort than its Airbus narrow-body predecessors. More likely than not, besides another aircraft or two, the remainder of the planes on order (and those already in the fleet) will be repainted in standard Alaska Airlines colors, instead of this sleek Virgin-Alaska mix. Fleet revitalization won’t be stopping here, either. The Seattle-based airline also has 17 Boeing 737 MAX 9s on order, Boeing’s most direct competition to the A321, the airplane depicted above. By the way, Alaska took TPG‘s top spot for best loyalty program.
And if this paint job feels a bit like déjà vu, you aren’t mistaken. Back in December 2016, Alaska painted one of its 737-900s in this same special livery as a part of its merger announcement with Virgin America. It’s still up for debate who’s wearing it better. See here for more images of this special A321neo.
Oh, and the missing engines? Don’t worry, those will be added soon.
Featured photo courtesy of Alaska Airlines
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.