Alaska Celebrates its New Planes with Another Special Livery
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Another day, another special livery.
Alaska Airlines has been repainting its entire fleet, both its own sizable Boeing 737 fleet and the nearly 70 Airbus A320 and A321s it acquired from Virgin America following the merger. In late January, it unveiled the first Airbus ever to be painted in Alaska Airlines colors — one of Virgin’s older A320s, after Virgin America officially ceased independent operations. On Friday, Alaska revealed yet another livery, this time on a brand spanking A321neo — the latest version of the European twinjet.
Alaska already has 4 A321neos in operation, still painted in Virgin America colors, and is expected to take delivery of more of them by the end of this year, all from Virgin America’s original order, which it kept after it bought the airline.
The aircraft promises better fuel economics and passenger comfort than its Airbus narrow-body predecessors. More likely than not, besides another aircraft or two, the remainder of the planes on order (and those already in the fleet) will be repainted in standard Alaska Airlines colors, instead of this sleek Virgin-Alaska mix. Fleet revitalization won’t be stopping here, either. The Seattle-based airline also has 17 Boeing 737 MAX 9s on order, Boeing’s most direct competition to the A321, the airplane depicted above. By the way, Alaska took TPG‘s top spot for best loyalty program.
And if this paint job feels a bit like déjà vu, you aren’t mistaken. Back in December 2016, Alaska painted one of its 737-900s in this same special livery as a part of its merger announcement with Virgin America. It’s still up for debate who’s wearing it better. See here for more images of this special A321neo.
Oh, and the missing engines? Don’t worry, those will be added soon.
Featured photo courtesy of Alaska Airlines
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.